2001 Cabrio dies when driving, will restart after sitting for a while

Ronny McWethy

Asked by Jun 16, 2013 at 04:34 PM about the 2001 Volkswagen Cabrio

I have replaced the distributor and fuel pump and it still dies. At first it would die after it was warmed up good. Now it will die after driving a few blocks. Always restarts after it sits for an hour or so.

I'd look at your ambient air sensor as it applies to the air/fuel mixture...does it die for lack of proper air/fuel mixture? or quit because NO spark? The temperature drops down, the air/fuel mix is correct then..you see it has to be a thermal sensor~

Ronny McWethy

OK, now the engine died so I checked the codes, p0341 came up. That's a cam position sensor code. As I said before, I already replaced the distributor, so why is this thing giving me this code?

replace the sensor~---you know it could be as fundamental as cleaning the 1/0 cable at it attaches to ground~

Ronny McWethy

My engine manual says the sensor is in the distributor. Is that not correct?

okay it's a field effect sensor on the side of the distributor...if I'm reading this anonymous cartoon correctly~

Ronny McWethy

Do you think its possible I got a new distributor with a bad sensor?

check the continuity at the camshaft sensor...still not clear on exactly how this thing operates...but it has to have continuity...check it with your ohm meter...then check the source to see if it is providing power...when there isn't any we will look at your ignition fuse/or relay if it's got one~

your CEL codes should reveal a defective IAT internal air temp sensor or engine temp sensor is not functioning because this whole business of having to wait until it cools down...tells me that a thermal sensor is not doing it's job...check you CEL codes again...or simply replace the IAT~

or the "air charge sensor" there is a relay and switch if these prove defective~

April Wylie

I'm having the same problem with my 1999 Cabrio. It's also pulling a code for the camshaft sensor. It has a new distributor and a new crankshaft sensor. But it dies when it's warmed up. Did you ever find out what the problem actually was? I've had people tell me my timing is off, my ignition coil is bad, and I need a cat converter. Nobody seems to have a clue.

I have a similar problem but my 2000 cabrio runs great a few miles then shuts down wait 15 min it fires up and runs but if u mash throttle much it shuts down again code says it idle speed adaptation limit reached