My interior lights are staying on in my 2002 VW Golf TDI. Lights are turned off at the switch and dial on the left for interior lights doesn't ever turn them down or off. By the interior lights staying on, the battery will eventually drain. Any suggestions as to why the interior lights are staying on?? Thank you.

Asked by Mar 06, 2013 at 07:55 AM about the 2002 Volkswagen Golf

Interior lights staying on in my VW Golf.

100,675

Usually there are three ways to energize the interior lighting. One is the dash board lighting switch which also controls the dash lights. The second is the switches on the doors. The third is the switch on the dome light. Sometimes the dome light has a setting to prevent the door switches from energizing. -- You could pull the interior light fuse to save your battery until the problem is solved.

OK I got rid of that I was making no sense. Suffice it to say TS explained it very well...I was attempting, without success, to describe about automatic headlights and dash/instrument lights...on some cars, such as my Corolla, when the system "thinks" it is daylight, and headlights are manually off, the dash lights come on automatically and are not adjustable as to bright/dim. But then we get in to manual on/off vs. automatic on at night, then they can be dimmed. Then again interior, as in dome..map lights are alltogether different deal. And pulling the fuse as he said to save your battery is a good idea but something else may not work then, What in your VW I don't know but in my car if that fuse is out the license plate, trunk, and radio go too

100,675

Hey David, thanks for the support. I had no luck finding a schematic. The fuse box index didn't have a year but it looked like the electric door locks were paired with the interior lights on the one I did find.

Yeah, me neither. That image is a Corolla. Matter if fact I just went outside to see if I had it right, I was not sure. It's snowing so kinda dark and I took a flashlight and put it on the 'eye'..the headlights went off and dash lights came on and I could NOT dim them. Which has nothing to do with dome lights.

Ok well my girl has a 99 jetta 4cyc 5 spd. So the interiors lights just stay on. The switch is not working but is lite up, could the switch be bad or what....