engine warning light AGAIN!! please help!

Asked by Mar 10, 2009 at 08:27 AM about the 2002 Volkswagen Golf

When i first bought my Golf 2.3 V5 in December 08 the engine warning light came on.  I took it back to the garage and they replaced the 2 coil packs and removed the warning code so the light would go out.  A week later the light came back on, i took it back and two different coil packs were replaced and thelight switched off.  Then about 2 weeks after that the light came back on and i just replaced the last coil pack and that fixed the problem.  The light did not go off that day but the following day the warning light never came back on.  

On every occasion the car would judder and misfire.

Thought the problem was sorted, however now 6 weeks later the engine warning light has come back on this morning and i dont understand why becasue the car seems to be running fine!!  the MPG was the same as it usually is whereas before when i had problems it dropped to 18-20 mpg rather than 25-28 and there is no juddering where the engine is mis-firing...

Any ideas what this may be?  

5

Volkswagon golfs are prone for coil problems.With the car missfiring it could of damaged the cat converter.The only way to find out if it has put a cat efficiency code in the ecu is to get it connected back on the v.a.g diagnostic tool.The car would be crap on mpg with the vehicle missfiring as the air fuel mixture would be over compensating for the miss firing cylinders.I suggest you get it taken back and check the codes.