locking vacuum pump stoped working and top of case melting

Asked by Jun 21, 2015 at 12:53 PM about the 2002 Volkswagen Cabrio

I had a bad locking vacuum pump I replaced it with a used one it worked for about a month then quit this case was melted around the top to possible another bad pump or something else John

11,505

did your original one look like this before replacement? the fact it has melted would mean its either close to something to hot or there is some sorta short in the pump or a continuous current going to the pump which over heated it. you most likely got a bad pump which was probably partly seized up

the original one was melted some to. these units are packed in a styrafoam housing not sure I spelled that right I have another used one on the way I plan on checking power draw see if it,s getting hot before closing it up see what happens the new ones just to expensive thanks John

11,505

yep then you probley got a short and its causing the pump to over heat which means something is making it run constantly i would suggest finding a car electrician to find out where the problem is