VW Passat - We can't the key to go into the ignition!

20

Asked by May 01, 2012 at 10:33 AM about the 2005 Volkswagen Passat

We have a 2005 VW Passat, and can't get the key to go INTO the ignition. It was fine yesterday, my
husband drove home from work  as usual. This morning, the key won't enter the ignition. We tried my key,
too. No luck. ...Huh?   They're the correct keys for the car. We played with steering lock, the car is in park,
the remote car lock/unlock works, everything else is fine. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks in
advance.

45

my suggestion is to go to a vw dealer and ask them. they might have to take the dash apart and replace the ignition key area. lots of money but worth it for the reliability

45

but before you do I will ask my mechanic about it. look for a reply again after 10am tomorrow

20

We got the key in! It is one of those where the whole remote is the key, so the key slot is rather large. My hubby stuck his finger in the slot and pulled it out again and then the key went in! I guess there was some dust in there, or perhaps the little black plastic covering pieces were a bit stuck and the was able to straighten it out with his fingers. Weird, but it works fine again now. Thanks for responding.

2,805

maybe you took the key out pulling it, while the key holder was still holding the key. you need to push it in to get it out first.

10

I'm having this same issue, however in my case the key won't come out from the ignition. I did a search and the moving from P to D or N and back to P would real ease the key. In my case it didn't. Also tried pushing the button on the gear selector 3 times. That didn't worked. What worked for me was kind of grasping the key and pull it with a bit of force and it comes out. Seems that something is not leting it be released. Car turns on and off normally when key is in. Now when I want to insert the key in is the same issue that you have here on this post "Key won't go in. " What worked for me was sticking my finger inside and push a little "tooth feeling" thing that is on the side until I hear a "click". Then try to insert the key and it all goes fine. Now the issue cycles again. In my opinion, I think it was the ignition switch that had to be replaced. So I took it to the dealer and after 2 hours of waiting I get a 3000$ bill. I told the service advisor that I was just there because of my key issues. He pointed out that it was the steering column lock module that had to be replaced and that part had to be ordered. It was going to be about $800. I had no other choose but just to have it replaced since I was getting charged to get it "diagnosed" Took it it in early on the day after the day part had been deliverd on the previews day. I was promised a rental bc I had to go to work. Dropped the car The whole day passed. Got out of one hour early. Drove back and when I got there the car was "not finished". So I waited. After 2 hours. I get the car back. I pay for it they bring the car aurround and gave me the key. When I was leaving I noticed that the issues wasn't fixed. The key was having a hard time going in. And same issue hard to pull. Whent right back to the service advisor and he says all well now you have to change the ignition switch. I'm like WTF THIS IS WHY I ORIGINALLY CAME HERE FOR. They misdiagnosed my car when I knew what the problem was to stat with. The ignition switch. What do you guys think I should do? Sincerely, Owner of a Passat cc 09.