2006 Beetle won't start

20

Asked by Nov 04, 2012 at 07:43 PM about the 2006 Volkswagen Beetle

Last weekend car wouldn't start at rest stop. Waited a few minutes and then it started. Yesterday same
thing. Removed battery and took to auto store. They agreed battery was dead and we purchased a new
battery and replaced. The car started right up after replacement. Turned off ignition and tried to restart
immediately. Engine is cranking but won't start. Gas tank is full. All instruments and electronics inside car
are working. Help!!!!

75

It sounds like it is vapor locking. check your fuel pump. Also check how the fuel lines are routed and make sure they aren't getting too hot. that will cause it

75

when you pull apart the fuel pump check the stem and see if it kinda sticks inside the block. if so sand it down a little.

75

beetle's are very prone to this issue. especially older ones.

325

@ Timothy, if the Car is a 2006 Beetle, I doubt any of the Fixes you are describing will help. Get a qualified technician to look into your issues. When last was the car serviced ? {Engine cranking & will not start could be no-Fuel, it could be no-Spark} Do you have any Fault Codes/Check Engine Light ?

20

The fuel tank is full. We did take it to the shop. Not sure the code number that was found. But the technician tells me it is the "Crank shaft sensor"...hope it's correct. Hate to be replacing parts and find that doesn't fix the problem...

325

make sure the Shop will warranty the work they do..// & make sure you get any Parts they say they have changed >take the old part away with you when you leave the Shop

Best Answer
75

Vapor lock is just what you described with the crank but no fuel. Get your facts right

325

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor_lock

20

I think you both may be correct...no need to fight over it. (I certainly hope you aren't being condescending and rude to me) I was just trying to get some insight into what the problem could be (as a lot of dealerships will just start replacing parts and manufacturing problems in my opinion). If you want to argue further you may, but I'll give you a little more history: 2006 Beetle Automatic 2.5 1. lights illuminated are: check engine, battery (which was replaced on Saturday incidentally because we thought this to be the problem), and PCM. 2. Appx 6 months ago we took the car in and the code detected was "emissions" (but no cause was ever found, and nothing was replaced or repaired) the car was originally purchased in California where they have strict emissions laws so I believe something was added to the car in order to get it into CA specs 3. Most recently the car did seem to hesitate shifting into the next gear and though it started with the first crank, it was certainly slower to start than normal. 4. The cruise control also seemed to hesitate a bit recently (perhaps due to the gear hesitation) 5. One week ago while at a rest stop, the car did not start immediately and as we were about to have it jumped, it started up. Having said all of that...the shop says its the crank shaft sensor. They will replace it and clean the carbons???? I am assuming the carbons have something to do with the fuel system. (hey, I'm just a girl and know nothing about cars)

325

this would be my To Do List:->1)replace engine oil & filter->2)have them check the Spark Plugs as well->3)replace Fuel filter->// Most importantly, request all the "OLD" parts be given to you at the End.. {not the Oil of Course}. Regular Oil changes could actually save you money if you plan to keep the Car for any length of time

8,865

when you let it sit and cool (over night), and it starts first thing in the am, for a short while, probably a crank/cam sensor, (usually with the code random, multiple misfires), as far as the "vapor lock" the fuel rail as a purge valve, the mechanic can check pressure by that., (or you can) to see if fuel is being given to the engine.

20

I have taken my VW 2006 beetle (diesel) in for servicing routinely for preventative maintenance, and lately every 3-4 months my car would just not start, not even crank, and would appear dead. Then a couple of days later it would start like it had no problem. . I'd take it to the dealer each time and they said they would replace the one way switch in the alternator, they would tell me I needed a new battery, and I can't remember what they replaced but the last time I took it to them they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Well on the worst snowy night it did it again and I had it towed to a place that specializes in foreign cars. They have had my car for 4 weeks and are searching for what could be wrong with it....possibly a ground wire issue. I guess the good news is that other than it not starting sometimes, the car is in really good shape (ha ha). The place I took it to said that my car seems to drain the battery every 3 days. I really hope they find out whats wrong. To me I find it really odd that the dealer can't find out whats wrong (or do they just not want to spend the time looking for it --time is money)----but the place where its at right now (importdoktor) is taking the time to troubleshoot it. I'm really hoping they can pin point the problem. One thing I do know---I will not buy a beetle again.

20

I am having a similar issue. Did you ever get yours resolved?