2006 Subaru Imprezza

Asked by Jan 11, 2016 at 04:35 PM about the 2006 Subaru Impreza

One of the dealers that has a car listed was called and asked in detail about the vehicle and record. Asked if it was right or had it been wrecked or any body damage. Told by the sales person the car was great and had no accidents. Drove an hour to see and drive it when we walked up we could see it had been wrecked and repaired tried to shut the hatch back and it wouldn't shut right. Saw that the bumper had been repaired. If you are going to trust a web site and give the dealer 4 1/2 stars they need to correct their advertisement.

35,265

And that is why I won't go see a used car without a Carfax up front.

20

That is the best answer. At V Drive Auto we use AutoCheck car history reports and always suggest we email you that history report before you come to look at the car. We don't sell any cars that have been in a accident and are ready to prove it.

2,860

Oh my! I cannot tell you how many HUNDREDS of times we indies see bloodied up cars that have been "done" at auctions, where the seller waves a paper on the block while screaming "clean CarFax"! You should all learn that only historical events that have been REPORTED become data entries for these services. If there's no insurance agy nor official police accident report the chance of missing data is very high. Many of these "hitters" become eBay and website-sale vehicles where the pics can't possibly portray repair anomolies nor paint subtleties. If you don't know what you're doing get a pro opinion from an experienced body "guy" or "picker", as even most wrenches aren't that good at spotting bodywork, as they're looking at mechanical aspects. Note also that the majority of traded vehicles at dealerships are no more than "safety-checked" for official State inspections. More often than not no one knows much of ANYTHING about the vehicle, as a salesperson is simply trying to sell it off at juicy retail before it goes to wholesale auction later. It's been interesting for me to watch how "pickers" nit-pick all exterior aspects, wrenches all mechanical, but only fairly rarely the 'twain shall meet. A good indie of course has to be both mechanic and pro inspector...even in the rain or snow!

2,860

Conclusion: Clean databased histories you may deem NECESSARY, but INSUFFICIENT. A GIANT chasm gobbles up millions of entries here. Caveat emptor!

20

Well the "subaruguru" I will go one better than just being an "indie". It's called a "mirco meter" to measure the thickness of the paint. If the measurement is consistent it's all factory paint, translation no accident. This is 1000% sure tool we use at V Drive Auto when in question of being in a accident or ever needing paint work. As I worked at a body shop starting at age 16 I kinda know if the car needs checking. The meter can't be fooled it measures the thickness of the paint on any body panel you put it up to. These can be bought for less than $100 for the DYI guy. Good Luck

2,860

Indeed...but only if there's been repainting! I once had to testify as an expert witness for a plantiff who bought a "new" car that proved to have been two chopped halves welded together with no added paintwork after it started filling with water after every rain storm. Hard to believe what even new car stores tried to get away with in the 90's. I haven't bothered with a paint meter and am pretty good checking edges by feel, etc. The demands of the $8-15k market for used Subies is about mechanical perfection more than cosmetics; as long as unibody crap doesn't raise its ugly head, eh?