debugging ignition system - 1998 Saturn SL2

Asked by Jan 15, 2015 at 11:27 PM about the 1998 Saturn S-Series

I have a 1998 saturn SL2.  If I turn the key off and pull the key out, the car continues to
beep and the battery runs down.  If I leave the key in the car and turn it to a position just
short of the acc position, the beep does not continue and the battery doesn't run down.  
How do I know if it is the Ignition key cylinder or the ignition switch that needs to be
replaced?  Or, do I need to bypass the security system?

1,405

That's a good question I'd say if like you had major electrical problems you might need a new ignition switch this is just a guess okay mind you, I would say try an ignition lock cylinder as replacement to solve the problem that's my guess gotta start somewhere right unless you want to pay a lot of money to get it diagnosed? PM

40

ignition lock cylinder is definetly the right direction. not the ignition switch but the key/tumbler part, (lock cylinder)