98 Saturn won't crank! Please help!!

30

Asked by Feb 05, 2014 at 10:52 PM about the 1998 Saturn S-Series

I have a 98 Saturn. Two weeks ago,
after starting up fine and running for
about 40 mins, I turned off. It
wouldn't start again. It is a standard
and acts as if I'm not pressing on the
clutch when I am. A friend (who is a
mechanic) messed with the clutch
pedal for a few min and said it was
the bushings and clutch safety switch.
He cranked it right up.

The problem has gotten worse, now
the car won't start at all. We have
now replaced the safety switch and
no luck.

Other things:
We can push start and the car runs
fine.
The battery is fine. We checked the
voltage and tried a jump. There is no
response.
Everything  lights up and responds
electrically. It just won't crank.
There is not sound (clicking or
otherwise) when we try to crank it.

Any suggestions what this could be!?
We are stumped.

20,875

You can take a wire and unplug the safety switch and put the wire in both terminals and black tape it up. BUT REMEMBER IT WILL START IN GEAR WITHOUT PUSHING THE CLUTCH IN IF YOU DO.

20,875

This will bypass the clutch safety switch.

10,965

Did your mechanic adjust the switch. Have you tryed manually pushing it (without the pedal) and trying to start it.

30

I am unsure of it being the safety switch itself. I bought a new one and replaced it. There is no difference.

30

Yes we have tried pushing the switch itself without the clutch pedal. No luck.

20,875

It is the switch but if the bushings are bad it is probably kicking by it instead of pushing the switch.The only way to fix it is replace the bushings, replace the pedals or bypass it like I described.

30

There doesn't seem to be any loose wires to the safety switch either.

10,965

Ok. There is usually two on a clutch one just under the dash to dis-engage cruise control when the clutch is pressed and the clutch safety start switch which will be triggered near the end of the clutch pedal travel. Take a quick look and see if the right one was changed. Not sure if yours is adjustible. My sister had this problem. She actually put in aftermarket floor mats that were to thick which prevented the clutch from being pushed all the way.

30

But if it was just the bushings wouldn't the car start when I press the switch in directly with my hand. There it's no corrosion on the wires.

20,875

Try what I said first. Disconnect the switch and put a wire in the plug in for the switch and see if it cranks.They may have sold you a bad switch.

30

My car does not have cruise control. There is only one switch anywhere the clutch

10,965

Wow my internet blows. You two type to fast. Check the switch as tuff said. if you by-pass it and it doesn't start i'd check the starter and ignition

20,875

Yes it would unless you have the wrong switch or the new one is bad. Like yeti said there are 2 switches.

30

I will try it. It is too late now. I Wii let you know of it works.

20,875

Yetti is right. If you bypass it and nothing then I would look at the starter

30

Thanks. If I bypass it and it doesn't work, what is the next most cost friendly step to take?

10,965

Check the starter.

30

How would I figure out if it is the ignition?

10,965

If your not scared of sparks and if your careful you can jump the started to see if it works. If it's not the starter it will be the ignition switch.

10,965

Do you have a multi meter or test light?

30

I'm pretty certain my friend does. Would a starter work intermittently? There is never clicking or any noises that says it is even trying to turn over.

10,965

Yes it can work intermittently. There would be no noise if the bendix is failing. Try the test light on the clutch switch leads. And work your way to the the starter. If there is no 12 volt power at the clutch switch it's the ignition (or fuse, but that should have been a quick failure). If you get power to the crank wire on the starter the starter is the issue.

30

Ok. We will try. I'll post when we do