I'm having some problems with my car that just started today, and I NEED my car for a huge test I have to take and I'm scared it won't get there. I need to know what's up with it.

Asked by Sep 19, 2012 at 02:46 PM about the 1998 Saturn S-Series

I own a 1998 Saturn SL2, and I normally have problems with keeping oil in it because it burns off my oil like
crazy, but it's never been a problem before, I just check the level quite frequently and always make sure it's got
oil in it.  this morning, however, as I was leaving my sister's apartment to head back to college, the two lights for
high engine coolant temp/automatic transaxle fluid temp and low coolant level warning came on. I've never
seen those two lights come on, ever, in the three, almost four years that I've had the car.  So, I pulled into a
parking lot, and checked my oil. It was running really low, so I added two quarts.  After that, the lights stayed off.  
Then, as I was driving back up the mountain to get to school, during one of the many climbs my car had to
make, the service engine soon light started blinking, but went off and never came back on for the rest of my trip.  
However, continuing going up the hills, my car acted like it didn't want to really kick in and go and speed up. I'm
not sure if it's got anything to do with the car itself, or if I was just scared to really punch it because of all the
lights going off. Later, it was acting funny and kind of jumping(?), if that's what you wanna call it. And then, going
through lights in town, speeding up from about 35-45, my car acted funny and like it didn't wanna go or it was
about to give up on me. Can you please please PLEASE help me. I seriously need my car tomorrow to get to a
huge test that I need to finish my degree, but I'm scared my car might not make it. PLEASE help me.

1,015

I had the same situation & didn't get to school to take my SAT test. Try to get a ride from a friend & deal with the car later.

1,415

Well if there arent puddles of oil and coolant around the car, it sounds like you have a headgasket leak. Coolant and oil are leaking into the combustion chamber and getting burnt up with the fuel and air. If you notice white smoke coming out the tailpipe, theres your answer. Check the coolant level, check the oil level. Make sure theyre both filled up(you may notice the oil and coolant looking foamy like a milkshake). If you keep both filled, the car will get you to and from the exam, but you have serious issues that will involve major engine work if those fluids are leaking into the cylinders.

24,095

Hopefully you got a cab or bus! How did things turn out???