Saturn 1999 over heating fan not coming on

Asked by Feb 04, 2008 at 04:47 PM about the 1999 Saturn S-Series

I had everything checked, repaired, replaced and it is still doing the same thing. As long as I am driving or running the a/c the temp needle stays a little pass the second line. If I am in stop in go traffic and not running my a/c it starts over heating. After 200.00 to replace cooliant sensor, cooliant cap. 500.00 to replace the entire radiator. And have the fan relay checked 38.00. I was told by Saturn that the Saturn runs hot, that the fan will not kick on until the needle goes over the halfway line. As long as it does not go close to the red area I should be fine??? Somehow that just does not sound right. And this is a certified Saturn mechanic telling me this. Does it sound right to anyone?

7,415

When you say it starts to "overheat" is the needle in the red? is there steam? I have seen some Saturns run at the third line and be fine, Heck I got 325000kms on mine and it overheated many times. you will need to becareful as seeing that ther are aluminum heads. ask to see if the can hook up their dig' comp' to you OBDII port and take it for a drive. it will digitally tell you your temp. It just might be your gauge. I installed a aftermarket gauge in mine. Hope this helps, best of luck. Cheers