Can I drill straight through and replace the motor mount bolts with a bolt with a lock washer and nut on the bottom?

Asked by Feb 25, 2013 at 11:39 PM about the 2000 Saturn L-Series

I have an ongoing problem with my motor mounts coming loose and I have tried everything I can think of to repair it; new bolts that are a little bigger - they loosened up, All thread rods - they loosened up. I just want to know if there is some type of thread repair or if I can drill straight through the motor mounts and run a bolt with a lock washer and nut or lock nut on the end? Is there a water jacket that I need to worry about if I drill through the block there?

Back in rustville (milwaukee, wi) we'd simply grab a fat washer that had enough clearance to accept the bolt, and WELD that sucker all around..that'll teach it to move around on us!

19,995

a helie coil kit is made for such jobs, parts store, if its an ear of the casting theirs no water jacket in them

7jim, helicoils only save the threads, not the entire assembly from jiggin around. this cat Gus1957 is thinkin' bout drillin possibly into the block...this is madness- probably needs to throw some steel up in there to weld to-

19,995

wait ,it would be aluminium cast, block with steel stamped mount bolted in that got ripped out from block ,a threaded stud ripped out,jackrabbit starts off the line,you know we still do then try to re bolt boogered threads with all thread, soft as butter,pulled again now big booger up ,probally on a portion away from main casting or couldent get nut on back, ???aaa what think?

yes Gus, cannot think of a reason in the world why this wouldn't work.

Best Answer
19,995

it will, steel bolts are stronger than aluminium, by far,if you can get in their ,maby a 90 * drill, no torch 800* melt torch 2100*

...keep your fire extinguisher handy~

oh wait you've got to have clearance for the nut, maybe 7Jim is onto something, wasn't thinking the engine, more the engine mount, which you can weld, build do whatever you want. The aluminum block is just a pain in the ass. Use a heli-coil as jim suggested if you don't have enough clearance for nut and bolt.

...but 'motor mount' is your concern, tons of wiggle room to make it right!

You can weld with aluminum/wires nearby, just use a sheet of steel as a blocker! throw a floorjack under the motor to jack it up to give yourself some clearance~