2001 Saturn SL1 Starting Problem

275

Asked by May 03, 2010 at 08:07 AM about the 2001 Saturn L-Series

I have a 2001 Saturn SL1 that won't start or even turn over, my wife drove it around all day, came home and parked it. She went to go out a couple of hours later and the car wouldn't start, wouldn't even turn over. I was thinking it was the Starter Relay, but wasn't sure, is there a way to check it without taking it to a shop? Does anyone have any ideas of what's wrong?
Thanks

4,655

I would check to see if the neutral/safety switch is working properly (if it is an automatic transmission), if it is a manual transmission, it would probably have a switch on the clutch pedal that would enable the engine to even crank.

275

Where would I find the Neutral/safety switch and how would I test it to make sure it's working properly? If that's not the problem, could it be the Starter Relay Switch and where is it's location? Thank you

4,655

a wiring diagram which sometimes also specifies switch location is the best resource, unfortunately I do not have access to that information. One place that is worth trying is the local libraries they may have shop manuals on the shelf either that you can check out or on the reference section. In that test, either a test light or ohmmeter is used to tell if a switch is good or an open circuit.

95

Does it have power? if it lights up the dash or dings the door buzzer then its gettin power still but the starter isnt engaging, If you have someone stand outside as you turn the switch, if it jitters and lights flicker could be a battery that has low voltage, if nothing could be the silinoid and or starter. Could be other things to, this would be a pointer for ya.

90

Wow way to go car gurus.... If its the starter tap on it with a wrench then if it cranks up its the starter.... If its 2001 the state will be found behind the motor above the scull and is the larger of the cylinders u have to hit. Beat it a few times then u it should work.... Sorry i couldn't help u 2 years ago, but i don't think these genius' knowledge helped either

90

Axle* / scull

280

2002 Saturn L100.112,000miles..running great never any problems....went to make an acceleration to get on freeway....engine just went dead..still had electrical power, no warning lites of any kind...engine turns over but will not fire.....any answers??

60

This afternoon, there was a knock at my door. When I answered, this poor sad kick was standing there, and he asked for jumper cables. The problem wasn't battery - plenty of juice, but nothing happened when he tried to start the car. No click. No nothing. I suspected this may benefit from the "tap the starter" trick, but it's pretty packed under the hood of a Saturn. unimpressedguru hit it on the head with his description of where to find the starter. I found it, tapped 4 times, and it immediately started!

40

God bless hitting things with things to make other thibgs work! Found the starter with y'all's help, beat it a couple times with my jack handle and bamm started easy! Thanks guys!

30

Have a saturn sl1 and had the same starting problem.replaced the starter and park neutral safety switch,the starter relay switch,and also all the small fuses.nothing! Then I tried the two lock and unlock fuses .was 17.99 each to replace and it fixed the car.weird!

90

My car is doing the same thing. Lights come on car dings but when I turn the key nothing..... no sound no engine turn over. I hit the starter and nothing... tried to pop the clutch nothing. So my starter is just done?

70

I have a Saturn L100 with very few miles under 80 grand so far. All of a sudden it starts not turning over, has enough gas, have left it alone for a while and tapped the starter and nothing. You can feel she wants to trun over and go, but nothing. Any suggests! Judi

40

2001 saturn 1.9 turn over but will not start getting fire

2001 Saturn won't start. Has a new battery as I said previously. I can't find my first question on her. lol anyway, I checked it today and it has drained the battery. The clock is still on the right time but the radio doesn't come on and the door doesn't ding anymore. slowly draining my battery. I am going to see if I can pull the fuse on the autotheft thing. I haven't found it yet under the hood but I am going to check the door.