Saab won't stay running or won't stay started while running

Asked by Apr 03, 2012 at 01:03 PM about the 2003 Saab 9-3

Hi my name is jelani galloway and I live in toledo Ohio. I have a 2003 Saab 9-3 2.0 turbo. I have has the vehicle for
about 3 months and have recently put a lot of money into it making sure it runs properly. New battery , suspension,
tires, tire rod. But recently when I started to start the car, it would cut on then them rapidly cut right back off. Then I
would keep trying with my foot on the peddle and it would cut right on but then continue to cut back off. All the lights
work still and everything . So I'm thinking it has to do with a sensor going bad or the fuel pump or the filter. Because
the car cranks up but cuts right off. It would do this for a hr then it would work then while I'm driving at a average
speed it would randomly cut right off while I would be driving.. Any suggestions?

From the information given it could be many things such as the items you mentioned and many more. I would personally take it to a shop that can run a Real Time Diagnostic to your vehicle. Otherwise you could be playing a "Replace Retry" game.

first check the airfilter, if its dry and clean then is okay. then check that fuel filter has been replaced in the last 2-3 years, if not you have to replace it. This is the easy bits to check for you self. Next then you need diagnostic reader, wich usally means you have to go to a saab dealer and get them to read of the cars computer . ( It should tell them right away whats wrong. )

Most auto parts stores will read the code for free. They do this in hopes you buy the parts there.

crank sensor probably needs to be replaced. If your car starts up and runs after it's cooled down, but cuts off again after engine has warmed up, then more then likely it's your crank shaft sensor. They tend to go out on the 9-3s after 100k miles. I just replaced mine for preventative maintenance.

I would totally agree with Lou, a common fault is a faulty Crank shaft / TDC sensor. However have the ECU checked for fault codes, this may save alot of time and money by sending you in the right direction.

Hi, I have 2009 Saab 93 with 63000 miles have problem of shutting down while driving in hot weather after 45 min ti an 1 hour. Have to wait some time to start it. I have replaced CPS and it still happens, any ideas?

I have a 2001 Saab 9-5 2.3t with 121,000 miles, and it dose the I want crank when you are trying to leave the gas station / what ever store your at some times. I replaced the CPS, and it still did it, I replaced the Neutral safety switch 3 days ago. So far so good, but if you have this problem you know you can go a week some times a few weeks and it won't do it. Sometimes it will do it every where you stop :-( Now my car wants to die at stop lights.

I have a 2001 Saab 9-3 SE with about 136,500 miles. I am the original owner of the car since 2001. This morning, for the first time ever, the car shut off when I was at a stop light on my way to work. I replaced the battery about 5 months ago, and the oil was changed a month ago. I keep the car very well maintained, and I have a SAAB certified mechanic. He says that it is probably the crank shaft sensor (I've never replaced the crank shaft sensor). I am concerned that my car will stop randomly when I'm trying to get it to the mechanic (20+ miles away!). Any thoughts?

I have a 1988 Saab 9000 s that starts and when I step on the gas it dies can anyone tell me what's wrong with it

I just had that issue on my saab 9-5 2003 v6 turbo. Changed my crankshaft sensor only took about an hour. Works great now.

Similar issue. Only when hot, i go to start the car, and it will start, and about 5 seconds later dies. Sometimes it won't restart after this, sometimes it will. Depends on how hot a day it is. If I give it some gas it will often catch, but sometimes the gas flow, or it appears so, is uneven and it sputters while trying to catch. I have replace the CPS, the Throttle body, all the O2 sensors, and the fuel pump was supposedly recently changed by previous owner. I'm stumped at what else it could be!?!?! Saab 1999 9-5 SE V6. It's obviously a sensor, because if I pop the hood and let it cool down for 5 minutes, the car starts just fine. Thanks

For cool down problem, check AIT sensor. Lord kbows EGR or Turbo unit .

I had the same issue as above on my 1999 Saab 9-5 3.0. After reading this post and its conclusions that it was a faulty crankshaft position sensor, I decided to see if it would resolve my issue. IT DID!! Thanks to everyone who contributed. This was great news to me especially since the mechanic didn't know what was wrong. The part cost me $71 at Advance after a 20% coupon and I got one of our local mechanic shops to put it on for $100. AGAIN THANKS TO EVERYONE!! YOU'RE THE BEST!!!

My 01 Saab 95 2.3 turbo just lose power and deid not it won't start or turn over at all can any help me

I have a 99 Saab 9-5 turbo 2.3 it starts then after two seconds it dies.i have replaced the cps.i have also checked and replaced the DIC.i have checked the fuel pump and it works fine the one thing I have not checked is the fuel filter,could it be this simple!or is something the way I have pull and put back in the engine management fuse each time and my anti theft box is not on the car would that have something to do with completely lost on what's wrong

So I have read up on the Saab, about a month ago my girl was driving and it cut off, I had it towed, I got the code P0300, now I have changed everything except the fuel filter, and it still hasn't turned over or crank at all. I have put on new starter, cps, air filter, mass air flow sensor, new battery, but I haven't changed the starter relay, please anyone that can possible help let me know

For Sohv, limp home mode at throttle body. Check by take off cover plate and move throttle cable plastic with spring should not move. ( note: new parts sometimes have to be matched to computer. ). Also, just change the fuel filter. You also might look at pressure regulator on fuel rail being culprit. Hope you fix problem.