I have a car that ran out of gas I put fuel in it drove it 14 miles shut it off now it won't run I ran a fuel pressure test it came back 0 it has good spark but I can't hear the fuel pump run does this car have a shut off switch IM up to all ideas thanks

Asked by Mar 19, 2013 at 01:37 AM about the 1991 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale

You may have burned up the pump running it dry. The pump is inside the gas tank and the gas cools it. Or picked up crap off the bottom of the tank by allowing it to get that low, and clogging it up. First check the filter... it is under the car on the drivers side near where the back seat passengers feet are. Then check the fuse.

Might have sucked trash in fuel filter

24,575

I'm just surprised that someone knowledgeable to run a Fuel Pressure Test would blatantly overlook keeping an adequate amount of fuel in their car to begin with.

Amen, RacerX. One would think that, eh?

92,045

A 22 year old fuel pump could go at any time.

Good point. I suppose it might have went kaput anyhoo w/o running dry.