what kind of lock cylinder do i need for my 1995 oldsmobile 98?

Asked by Feb 11, 2017 at 07:42 AM about the 1995 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight

I lost the keys to my 1995 olds 98 and my husband tried to "hot wire" my car without knowing the chip in the key (VATS system) would keep that from happening. my ignition is busted and now I need to know what kind of lock cylinder with matching and coded keys to get ?

73,175

Your going to need help from the dealer, as the keys and lock cylinder need to be re-programmed.

50,855

Tell your husband to put down the tools and step away from the car. Rowefast is correct, it needs to go to the dealership. Don't let your husband ever work on it again.

dam ... sounds like thts gonna be expensive ... grrrr

50,855

Get an extra key and stash it someplace so that this doesn't happen again. Now is the best time to get an extra key.

25,885

I've done this and it did not take a trip to the dealer. I replaced a broken ignition lock cylinder and it came with two new passkeys. There is a reset procedure that involved turning the ignition to on (but not crank) and leaving it for 10 minutes, then off, then back on, I don't recall the exact procedure and it may change between the different GM models. After that the BCM (body control module) accepted the new keys (depending on model, some had a separate TDM or theft deterrent module or it was incorporated in the BCM). If you have an owner's manual, look through it for a reset or relearn procedure, or check on the web. If not, take it a qualified locksmith or dealer, and just have the resistance code read from the BCM/TDM, then you'll know what resistance-rating key blank to get. There were only 15 different ones available. You may also get lucky and the dealer still has the key code stored and can look it up based on the VIN.

25,885

Worst case scenario, pull the steering wheel and access the two yellow (or white) wires that read the resistance value of key, there are only 15 values available, so get 15 resistors from radio shack and clip them on one at a time and start the car with whatever key came with the new cylinder. The values are as follows (measured on omhs): 392, 523, 681, 887, 1.13k, 1.47k, 1.87k, 2.37k, 3.01k, 3.74k, 4.75k, 6.04k, 7.50k, 9.53k, 11.80k. After each attempt you'll be locked out for a few minutes, so just wait then try the next value. Once you find the resistance value that starts the car then solder the resistor in place and put everything back together.