Dash Lights on 1998 Oldsmobile 88

20

Asked by Feb 15, 2016 at 12:09 PM about the 1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight

I am having a dash light problem on my 1998 88. The dash lights will be very dim (too low to make out the instrument readings) at night and cannot be seen in the daytime. That also causes the radio and odometer to not display. I thought it was the daylight sensor but checked it and it was fine. There is something called a light control module under the dash to the right of the steering wheel. I have read that the module may be the problem and am looking for one now. The little information I could find said something about the lights being florescent and that the module was used to control their brightness. Never heard that before and so am still without dash lights. I know my fuses are good. I am hoping that some of the real experts on this site can give us some advice on this, Please.

5,725

yes...the ground connection to the dash/chassis is bad, or corroded by moisture, one could find a spot where a ground lug could be attached then ground the dash, if not properly grounded~

20

Bob, I have been messing with this for a month and can't believe I didn't try that already. I will try connecting another ground. Might work. Thanks for the response.

20

Pulled the whole dash apart and checked the ground. Ground is not the problem. I am back to thinking that it is the dash light control module. Has anyone out there ever had to replace this module?

5,725

the dimmer switch has a potentiometer so you don't get blinded in the country...my Toyota has a separate poteniometer for that~ perhaps the dimmer control on your vehicle is absent or disconnected~?