1993 Miata stalls in gear

Asked by May 11, 2010 at 09:39 PM about the 1993 Mazda MX-5 Miata

I've taken this to two mechanics with no luck.  I've had new fuel pump, camshaft sensor and battery installed.  It starts up but when the car is put into gear it stalls.  I've nearly given up.  I put over $500 in parts into this and my car that's never given me a day of trouble has been out of commission since January.  Please help!!  It's a 5 speed standard model with no frills.  One more part was installed but I forget what it was.  I bought it new and it was expensive.

45

Is your tach bouncing? Have you checked for vacuum leaks? Is there anything that you do that causes it to stall?

OK, we're at tow #4 and mechanic #3. The new guy's told me he thinks it's the ECU. He checked all the way from fuel pump to injectors, checked the spark, and told me it couldn't be anything else. He can't handle electronics so I'm stuck with buying an ECU and installing it myself. What's your take on his diagnosis? I actually believe him. Right now the car doesn't stay running long enough to look at the tach. He didn't reveal any vacuum leaks. I've read that the ECU is "under the passenger's feet". Where? Under the carpet? Is the ECU easy to change out? Please help!! It's beautiful outside and I want to wash and clean my baby so I can drive it.

9,445

I am hesitant to blame the ECU. I would check your fuel pressure in the rails. Could be low fuel pressure (although I doubt it). 2nd? Why get an automatic roadster? Isn't that sacrilegious? OK, Serious now... If it were not for the fact you stated that it will not idle at all now, I would have suggested the possibility of the transmission not starting in first gear. Since it will not idle, double check fire at the plugs and fuel pressure in the rails. Also, inspect ALL vacuum lines to ensure none are broken or disconnected. If ALL is good, it could be one of four things (just to name a few).. 1. Bad TPS 2. Bad IAS 3. Bad MAF/MAP Sensor 4. Bad ECU I always recommend that if you are going to throw money at a problem.. Always start at the cheapest.. FYI: ECU is located behind the dash on the passenger side. Not always the easiest to access.

9,445

Also forgot one.. Very good possibility it could be a clogged up catalytic converter too... I would have an exhaust system flow check to test.

5

It could also be that the rpm's r 2 low 2 run in gear. @ how many rpms is it idle? It should b between 750 & 900. Mine was doin that & even stallin in neutral. Turns out the ACV needed 2 b loosened/opened up a bit 2 increase the idle rpms. Both problems solved. Hope this helps. :)

4,235

well i would suggest to take ur vehicle to a good dealer as the problem is recurring. http://mazda-5.com/2009-pictures/

5

What about the fuel filter? Mine was stalling even in 1st as well as neutral & I changed out the fuel filter. Fixed it. Maybe flushing the injector system would help 2

35

check out Miata.net, there is a 99.9999% chance some one on that forum has gone what your going threw. if you got a new cam sensor it may not be aligned correctly

150

Neutral safety switch, most likely....

10

I have what sound like the same problem. Did you ever find out what tha cause of the problem?