timming belt

Asked by Oct 10, 2007 at 06:31 PM about the 1995 Mazda MX-5 Miata

if the timming belt breaks do the valves get damaged and need to be replaced. Also at what  mileage should the timming belt be replaced ?

13,495

They can be damaged from your timing belt breaking. This is why there are scheduled maintenance intervals for all vehicles to have various items replaced. A good maintenance regimen is your best defense against serious engine failure.

35

the 1.8L motor in your car is not an interference motor so if it breaks you will only be stranded you wont need a valve replacement but the belt is very easy to replace (if you live in northern va you can bring it to me and i'd gladly replace it for you) the replacement interval for your car is every 60,000 miles hope this helped!

40

I have a 1994 Mercury Capri, same engine as miata. Timing belt broke, replaced belt now car starts up and idles but has no power. Timing marks look good. Any suggestions.

On your mercury capri you dont have the timing marks lined up prior to installing your timing belt.

45

Well, just because it is rated as a non interference engine, doesn't mean it is. Carbon can build up on the reliefs cut in the pistons.... then it is interference. Line the e up with the e tick and the i up with the i tick (on your rear cam cover) and you will be ok. Also the pins on the cams should both be aiming up. The i on the intake side and e on the exhaust side should also be pointing skyward.