Buying a Used Mazda i have a few questions: mainly involving snow

Asked by Jul 20, 2009 at 12:13 PM about the 2004 Mazda RX-8

I test drove an rx8 04 from a private owner and the car is in excellent shape and drives smooth and handles amazingly.  My question is i am going to put a remote start on it so i can start up the car in the morning from my house and i'm hoping having this will avoid any engine flooding problems.  My main question is how poorly does it drive in the snow?  I live in utah and they take forever to plow the roads and seeing as how this is a rwd and low to the ground i'm thinking this could be a bad investment.  If i put blittz tires on the car do you think i should be okay?  I only drive a 1.5miles to work everyday.  Are there any major problems i should be aware of and do you think i can try to pull off driving in the snow?  Thanks!

85

The height is not so much a problem as is the rear wheel drive. You could put snow tires on it and some weight in the back but I dont think it would be worth putting such a nice car at risk... However it might be worth investing in an old 4x4 beater!

7,275

i see those cars all over in the wintertime here in wisconsin. ive never drove one myself but with so many of those on the roads here during the winter i dont think you will have a problem.

i have a good recomendation, and you wouldnt say other, go to a snow rally school and learn a lil more and have a really good time...

5

I would avoid the remote start just to avoid any possibility of a flood (it isnt fun getting it towed to the dealership) but a bag of gravel in the bottom of the trunk stays in place with the way the layout of the trunk is and with some 17" blizzak snow tires on it i lasted a canadian winter without ever gettin stuck! if you have never drifted before tho i would highly suggest getting a winter beater