Engine locked up

Asked by Jun 25, 2012 at 07:52 PM about the 2004 Jaguar X-TYPE

First off' let me say that I must be an idiot for ignoring the blinking oil light on my dash for 3-4 days, thinking that I was probably just a little low on oil and would take care of it this weekend.  Too late!  My car just shut off, and now the mechanic says I will need a complete engine overhaul costing around $3,000!  I paid $5,000 for the car some six months ago.  Please any experts out there... what is the least expensive, most effective way to repair the damage and keep this car running well for another few years.  The mechanic filled the car with oil, but the engine is still making a noise.  He said it is not safe to drive.  Please help!

Thank you!

241,535

That stinks, you can save some money by finding a used motor, but ones for a Jag X-Type might be hard to come by, plus the labor to get it to the shop and swap over the accessories. You also don't get a warranty either, the used motors are as-is, and you have no clue how it was run. So I think your best bet is paying the $3K to get back on the road, an expensive lesson, but with it fixed you'll be able to enjoy it for years to come. Good Luck!

241,535

I looked and the Jag uses a Ford Duretec motor, either the 3.0 or 2.5. so these motors can be found pretty readily. Talk to your mechanic and see if he would consider using a used motor and what the cost difference would be.

110

At lease yours was trying to worn you. Our the red light never can on. $4600 later and it on the road again. If you have it rebuilt, don't let them over tighten the valve cover. I had the replace the gasket after the warranty ran out (just 2 months) oil got to the plugs. $3000 doesn't sound bad if you like the car.

475

I have an '02 X-Type 3.0 w/X2 pkg, sitting @ 63,000 orig miles but when she does need a "transplant" I plan on just dropping a 350 in her. Easier to work on,parts are much more available and cost effective compared to OEM Jaguar parts. Also the 2.5 and 3.0 engines have plastic pieces in areas where there really should be metal,ie the water pump for starters and countless other bits. So if you're going to spend the money anyway I would get the 350,my opinion.