Jaguar S type intermittent electrical problem

Asked by Jul 24, 2015 at 06:32 AM about the 2005 Jaguar S-TYPE

Jaguar Electrical problem: My 2005 Diesel S type has just developed a new problem. Car has a new good quality battery. Starts first time every morning. Drive to work or wherever, park up, at this point no indication of any problem at all. Try to lock the door or open the boot using the key fob - nothing it's dead, try to restart the car - again nothing it is absolutely dead, no lights, no hazard lights, no interior lights, no clicking, no trying to start, no sound or sight of life what so ever. Wait 10-20minutes and all is fine again. It starts first time drives around for a couple of weeks or so and then the intermittent problem reappears. had Jaguar dealer look for error codes - nothing, all clear, had the RAC check battery condition - all clear, good battery. Boot is very dry and in excellent condition, all connections that I can see are clean, tight and dry. Any ideas where to start? Thanks, Mike Mason

65

Sure sounds like the alternator to me

Thanks for the suggestion. I've moved on. As the problem was intermittent I decided to trade the S type in, I now have a XF Sportbrake - which is great, but, IMHO not as loved as the S type - I really loved that car but can't afford intermittent problems, have to get to work / client sites everyday.

10

I had the exact same problem. There is a rear control module in the trunk hidden behind tail lights on right side (passenger) we ordered a used one off ebay,( made sure that the first letters in the part number matched) switched it out and problem solved. It was a simple solution to what seemed an impossibly complicated problem. Hope this tidbit helps you. Happy driving. =)

Thanks, good response, unfortunately I sold the S type ( wish I hadn't). Bought an XF V6 S sportbrake - which was brilliant. Again unfortunately this car was stolen 2 weeks ago, so if you see a really top of the range - every extra fitted (except tracker :-( ) beware, it could be stolen. MikeM

10

That sucks. I know how that feels. Thief's burnt my Durango to the ground. I was heartbroken. Well next time should you happen to come across that problem again its a $75 problem. No dealership needed. It took a long time and a lot of headaches to figure it out, turning to the Jag forum had us even more confused. Glad its all over and the cat is back on the road.