Where to find trunk latch assembly? In California.

10

Asked by Sep 15, 2013 at 02:01 PM about the 1991 Ford LTD Crown Victoria

Have a 1991 LTD Crown Victoria that runs good.  My trunk latch frequently doesn't like to catch.  Have to slam it down several times to get it to catch.  The key lock assembly on the right side of the trunk works fine.  It is the trunk lid catch that doesn't like to work.  Need to find a replacement trunk latch.

92,625

A salvage yard should have one, have you tried lubing up the latch and or readjusting it?

24,205

I've had to replace several myself. The latch is made of heavy enough metal to last for years but it isn't THAT heavy duty. Yeah, a salvage yard is your best bet if you want to save a buck. Suggestion: Mark the location of the old latch before you remove it as a guide of where to locate the new one.

10

Tennisshoes..... How would I lube the latch? Are there fittings or do I just put something on the catch point? I am a neophyte fixer.

10

Tracy.... what do I mark...don't the screws only have one place to be used? Again, I am a neophyte fixer.

24,205

Just outline it with a Sharpie. Neophyte: now there's a term I haven't heard used in here! :)~ Actually, Ford does not recommend lubricating either latches or hinges. I've never been able to fix one of these latches. The inner- workings are light -weight enough that when the housing is bent, the mechanisms no longer line up properly.

92,625

Use some PB Blaster to lube it. you use it just like WD40 it has more penetrating properties to it, Ford never did recommend lubing the latches or hinges but they used too back in the 60's and 70's. So if that didn't work then replace it and do as Tracy stated for marking the line up of the latch.

6,465

That car is well over 20 years old. Maybe all you need is an adjustment down from where it's mounted. The nuts and bolts (8 mm)on the trunklid where the latch mounts to it move around for adjustment incase of an accident, damage or misalignment to the trunklid . Loosen up the mounting bolts (8 mm) and move the latch straight down just a tad (1/16th- 1/8") and then retighten the bolts. It's probably just pushed up a little from slamming the trunklid down over those 22 years since 1991 when it was new. A little white lithium grease in a spraycan from Home Depot sprayed on the upper latch mechanism won't hurt it either and will loosen up anything that's sticking up there too. but I bet a slight adjustment is all you need. The catch on the bottom of the trunk opening is also adjustable with a couple 8 mm bolts too so you could adjust that instead of the latch mechanism. Either one should do the trick. one or the other bottom piece up or top piece moved down. Just don't move it too much and marking it first where is was mounted originally with a black or silver (depending on color of car) sharpie or marker will make sure you'll know where is was so you can put it back if you accidentally move it too much. I've got an '89 Crown Vic and I did the same adjustment to mine last year. Good Luck, Kenny/ MrBlueOval.