replacing the ecm 91 e250 super van

Asked by Mar 04, 2011 at 01:47 PM about the 1991 Ford E-250

Hello and thanks in advance,
We removed the ecm to find there was an after market part plugged in and held on with duct tape.  Question:  Must the ecm have something attached as shown in the photo, or perhaps a standard factory piece.  Is this what's called the prom or calibrator?  Will the new ecm allow the the engine to run with out any thing plugged in since there is a cover plate on the new one to be replaced and does not appear to be removed easily.

Thank you
Michael in oregon

no it will have to be pluged in,the cover will come off.

Hello Pap's Garage, Thank you for the quick response. The only piece I have is the one I found when removing the ECM. It's made by Dyno Sources Inc, (part # S O A 1), out of Washington St. Their phone No. is not working and can't find any information about other chips that might be better suited. Do you know of any source where I can get a replacement to at least return this van to as close as possible to factory specs Thank you Michael in Oregon

Dyno Sources moves around alot,if you know what I mean???,to get it back to factory spects,you could get your local ford dealer order one or find one in a salvage yard,same modle as yours and take it out and put in yours.

Thank you again Papa, I'll pursue that line of attack and hope for the best. I'll let you know how your advice worked out. Thank you Michael in Oregon

OK.

Hey Papa, Just want to let you know that the old 92 super ford van has a new ECM and is working better than ever. Thanks for you help. soilman Michael in Oregon

great,glad to be of some help.