94 F250 won't start

145

Asked by Feb 28, 2015 at 02:58 PM about the 1994 Ford F-250

I have a 94 F250 that would not start....After going through the ignition system  with a
test light and spark plug ignition wire tester (plugs/wires/coil) I had a bad coil. I
replaced it and started right up. As a maintenance precaution I replaced the fender wall
mounted control module as well.

Ran flawlessly for 2 months...I parked it and went on vacation for two weeks...now it
won't start.

I have spark, but no fuel. I can hear both fuel pumps engage. At first I would hear them
run about 2 seconds and come to pressure.....sometimes if it sat a day or three it
would fire right up and run fine while parked. (manual trans w/4x4) But the next day it
would again fail to start.

After this I noticed a distinctive change in how the fuel pumps sound...one has a very
high pitch whine and doesn't stop giving the idea it has reached pressure.(front tank,
with low fuel amount)
The rear one whines also but with a lower pitch and again..just continues to run not
indicating it is at pressure.

I replaced the frame mounted fuel filter and afterwards the fuel pumps acted
normal(initial energize and the 2 secs indicating to me they were at pressure?) it fired
right up...drove it around town and took it to the highway for a test run for 15mins. It ran
fine and flawless. Shut it off and restarted...great.

Today...3 days later, it again just cranks and cranks, but the fuel pumps now both
make the high pitch whine and do not stop indication they are at pressure.

I now have a check engine light which it has never had?

Any idea what my issue is?

3 days later.....

75,285

Think i would do a pressure check on the pump,s to rule them out,if pressure is good,you may need a new fuel pressure regulator.

145

I dont have the tools to check fuel pump pressure....I will replace the regulator today and report back with the results. Thank you.

145

Update...My F250 is a 93 and after a couple hrs of research I found a post from 1999 on another ford forum. The info said that the regulator rarely fails. If the key is in the on position and the truck is not running, but the fuel pumps continue to turn/whine continuously, instead of the 2 sec prime indicating the system is energized the it is one of two issues. #1 Stuck fuel pump relay located in the fuse box #2 Bad EEC located on the exterior of the fuse box or similar location I already removed the regulator, wasn't easy installing the new one will be much harder than removal, I will replace both the pump replay and EEC and update with results.

145

Repairs made were new fuel regulator and fuel pump replay. Started right up several times and at this time appears to be running normal.