Backfire

Asked by Jul 01, 2013 at 10:10 PM about the 1995 Ford F-350

I canseem to pin point a back firing issue Im having I have a motorhome ford motor 460 1995 idiels great start easy when I excellerate it gergals ? and starts to back fire I runs great just cant put it under load it will  gain speed and run good at speed when I get there but if going up hill or trying to pass a car start backfiring or gergels almost like theres a governer on it I change plugs, plug wires, cap ??

25,595

Most likely the Catalytic Converter is failing. A muffler shop can confirm it very easily. If you can interpret a vacuum gauge, you'll be able to see it too. Restricted air out - no air in. Common for those over-loaded 460's.

25,595

You could unbolt the cat and try it. Noisy but conclusive.

I look underneath there there's noCadillac converter any other ideas

there is two rounds of mufflers underneath there not sure back to be converted into a Cadillac converter I've only on the motorhome for 3 years

25,595

the first "muffler" - a long, cylindrical object - is the Catalytic Converter. There should be 4 bolts on a flange. Disconnect the pipe and run the engine. If the vehicle was produced after 1988 - it has a Catalytic converter from the factory. It does say "Unleaded Fuel Only" on the gas gauge doesn't it?

sounds like shes dirty & trying to cough up a fur ball!! thts what I call those reactions. try cleaning! its free,look for loose hoses & wires,dirty ended wires,hoses tht got a sneaky hole!! tape up anything ratty looking. if you can open the carb,you can start the block,dont let it die,and do a cleaner @ home job. pour gas - water - gas ,,,down the barrels & let her run out the fur ball. clean airfilter,batt cables,fuel filter,that should make her feel better untill you get a budy to help you look.

25,595

There was no such thing as a carburetor in ANY 1995 Ford product. Wires and plugs cause misfires, vacuum leaks cause a high idle, water in the intake? To clean the intake valves? They have gasoline additives for that at the pump already. Seriously!