F350 Headlights that do not work 1996

40

Asked by Jun 08, 2011 at 10:05 PM about the 1996 Ford F-350

I just got a nice F350 dualy from my dad. The whole thing in in remarkable condition except the headlights refuse to perform as advertised. All other marker, tails, running and turns work great as well as all the interior lights. Once or twice I got them to work for a short period of time in the flash to pass mode, but that as gone away now. Checked the bulbs and they and the sockets are fine. All fuses both inside the cabin and in the engine compartment check fine. Someone suggested that the headlight switch is often the problem so I got a new one and snapped it into place, nothing. Where to start looking now. Do the 96 F350s have any fuseable links that might cause this issue and if so, where are located in the engine compartment. Otherwise this a clean low mileage (104,393) truck and otherwise great to drive and the A/ C works great. Anyone got any clues where to start looking for the headlight relays? Any tips?
Thanks
Mike Allen
San Antonio, TX

bad dimer switch.

40

Papa, are you talking about the instrument light dimmer (part of the light switch) or the Hi-Low dimer part of the turn/wiper/hi-low switch? Additional information; realized that it had a Flash-to-Pass feature so I tried that and once they worked, second time only one, third time nothing. Didn't mind that the headlight switch did not fix it, only $14 but the the turn/wiper/hi-low/flash to pass lever is almost $100. But it that fixes it I can put it up for sale. I have absolutely NO use for this truck......I have stuff I could haul, but just don't need anything this heavy duty (and thirsty, 8mpg! Yikes)

the turn signal ,where you put on high or low beam,try one from a salvage yard.most of them work fine.

40

Turned out to be the actual dash switch. Looking at old switch there were signs of shorting. New switch + two new bulbs and bingo! I have light and passed inspection this afternoon.

40

Now if I can figure out what this is and what is supposed to be hooked to it.........

check your other post for answer.or here it is again hose would go to air pump for emission if no air pump dont worrie about it.wont affect the running of the truck.

8,420

That does not require any connection. The light problem is circuit resistance. the connector at the MF switch could be melting as well as the headlight sw. connector. The motorcraft repair options have length or no length added to beefier wires. The gang plug gets a fit-together concern at the floor or firewall. if it does not sell, and recurs, use an ohmmeter and some long leads, or see your local Ford people. Isolate the circuits that heat up and improvise. Your lightsw has a built in circuit breaker. Vibration and off paved road use can shake things and loosen things, like connections over the last almost 20 years.

8,420

A little softer tire pressure might save your fillings too.