Brakes apply by themself

Asked by Nov 10, 2008 at 07:59 PM about the 1999 Ford F-350 Super Duty

I have a 1999 F-350 Super duty 7.3 diesel power stroke with anti lock brakes and no cruise control. The brakes, (I think the rear ones only ) apply by themself, usualy when I first start the truck and run it for the 1st 15 minutes then the problem goes away, after a while the problem re-ocures randomly. The problem seems to be getting worse to the point where the truck shakes like it was going to fall apart. I've removed the fuse for the anti lock brakes and the problem is still there. Has anybody experienced this problem or have any suggestions as to what maybe causing it.

8,775

To be honest I don't know the truck well enough to be able to be very useful, but it sounds like the brakes are 'frozen'/seized... Generally speaking an ABS couldn't engage the brakes it simply releases brake pressure when it detects a sudden drop in wheel speed (IE tire locking up and sliding) Regardless, the best advice with any braking problem is take it to a shop immediately.

5

I had the same problem with my 03 350 super duty diesel. Check to see if the backing plate for the brake shoe retaining pins go is rotted. This would cause the rear brake shoes to move around inside the drum.

50

I have a simular problem only in the front brakes of my 2000 duelly with 4WD. First the left brake pulls the truck to the left as I go down the road. Then the right brake begins to pull the truck. by this time I have slowed down to about 20 MPH. At this point one of the wheels (I can't tell which one) begins to hop wildly to the point that you must stop the truck for fear that the truck will flip from the wheel hop alone. Did I say it bounced wildly. Whooah, what a ride. Needles to say I parked the truck, but one of these days I am going to need to take it out again and I would like to have if fixed by then. I hate to take anything to the garage but unless someone can offer some sound avice I am going to have to take it in and probably pay a good part of my life savings to have it fixed. so is this "Fords Better Idea," or where they just thinking too hard? Thanks for any help

30

This problem sounds like one I have run into before. It is not just limited to ford. It is with any truck with a solid front axle. First make sure all steering components are good. No play in tie rods, drag links and ball joints. If all is good have the alignment checked. Excessively high caster will do that. Also don't forget about the u-joints at the front wheels, check them close too. Send me an email and let me know if this was helpful.

visually check for possible gear-oil contamination of rear shoes, resulting from axle seal leakage;If the condition is bad enough,you will see oilly wetness on the backing plates if you look under the vehicle This problem is not likely to be caused by the abs system,but the possibility should not be ignored.that truck has a very good, reliable brake system and the problem is likely not serious or complicated

90

I have a 1999 F-350 and I have a very similar problem. It seems that the left front brake starts to tighten and it continues till the brake and wheel gets HOT and shakes the front wheel. What the %#$&*^ is it?

115

possible master cylinder fluid - too full condition or internal master cylinder problem itself. One of the internal seals of the master cylinder could be causing this problem. if you have experienced a brake drag or lock up, you also have overheated the fluid and your brake system need to be completely flushed out once the problem has been repaired.

605

The other problem cane b the power brake booster the vacuum is pulling the dyefram in being pull in with the vacuum cane b a week spring inside . what you cane try in undue the vacuum hose .you will still have but they b a little hard to push you will see if it still does what you say.