Inside tire wear on front tires of my 2002 ford lightning

Asked by Aug 09, 2010 at 12:21 PM about the 2002 Ford F-150 SVT Lightning

I have a 2002 lightning and the inside of the front tires keep wearing badly I put a caster
camber kit on it and the alignment is perfect according to factory settings and no front end
parts are worn out everything on the front end is good but it continues to wear out my tires
has anyone else experienced this or know any solution for this problem any info would be
greatly appreciated thx in advance

5

Put a couple of pounds less pressure in your front tires .... Your camber has slightly increased the friction on your inner wheel. that should sort you out :)

psi should be 35 to 40 psi on front,still sounds like an aligment problem.

4,275

If you have EVEN wear on the inside of the tire you are most likely over inflated. Are you using stock rims with stock size tires?

Ya stock rims with toyo proxes St 2 tired I keep my tires at 40 psi in the front I've taken if to two places to get the alignment and front end inspected and they both said everything is good and alignment is dead on with factory specs but the inside of the tire is still wearing out approximently a two inch strip on both front tires thx for the input guys it's really appreciated!!!!

4,275

Too much air. plain and simple. http://www.aa1car.com/library/tirewear_chart.gif

They are also cupping real bad on top of the inside wear and also I'm not sure if I noted how badly they r wearing they are wore to the wires thx for the input guys and chris so how much air should I put in them I have toyo proxes St 2 295 45 18 is the size

4,275

I have mistaken you. When you said inner part of the tire I thought you had meant the center of the tire itself. How many miles are on the truck have any front suspension parts been replaced? If you alignment is "correct" I would but looking into worn ball joints. Who is aligning this vehicle for you? Have you had a second opinion from another mechanic?

Ya I took it to two places first pepboys then tire discounters I had all parts on the frontend checked balljoints struts springs etc. They both said everything is fine Also it was doing it before I put a caster camber kit in and is still doing it afterwards as well it tracks straight no pulling it has me puzzled

4,275

Are you rotating the tires regularly? You need to do it every 5-6k on this truck because these tires are so wide it may be natural. Has this always been a problem or something recent? Slight play in the upper balljoints will do this as well.

I never had this problem with the stock Goodyear tires they wore even all the way across the tire this started happening on the first set of toyo tires I bought but I got like 60000 miles from them I only got like 30000 out of the second set so it seems like it has gotten worse to me since they put the camber kit on it might b that I'm not rotating them enough but wouldn't they still wear the same and just end up wearing out all four tired instead of just the two ?

4,275

If you have over 100k on a the truck and its 8 years old and you are on the original front suspension, that has to be your problem. Everything may be within spec but you can still get abnormal wear. Have they given you any computer print outs of the alignment? Some print outs will show you where you are in the specs. If you are leaning towards the outer end of the range of factory specs you will get abnormal wear.

Ye I got a print out and everything seems to be about in the middle of the factory specs

you could just have bought a couple of bad tires.

10

I wanted to know if you figured out the issue I have a 2000 lightning with the same problem.

10

I had the ford house replace my whole front end and do a alignment 6 months later i noticed when doing a oil change the tires were ran to the wires on the inside i suspected negative camber took it in for a alignment and everything was in spec?