Can't get a straight answer to my question please help someone...

Shannon Gensler

Asked by Oct 27, 2015 at 11:58 PM about the 2003 Ford F-350 Super Duty

ANYONE HELP PLEASE.......We have a 2003 FORD F350  We've checked every web site and can't find the answer to this and It's getting very stressful in my house! The radio started going out here and there then battery light has been intermittent, dash/cluster all interior went out at once " windows, lights, radio" now battery will not charge. BRAND NEW BATTERIES, ALTERNATOR, DASH CLUSTER $1500.00 later doing it again about 2 months later????? Got home shut off and didn't start. Stuck battery charger on it for about an hour started up and battery light blinking intermittently, gages and radio all working drove around block everything fine pulled in driveway all interior functions died again while truck still running shut it off tried to restart but battery dead. took apart dash made sure all plugs were secure disconnected radio, break box, recharged battery started back up abs light stayed on until put in drive drove around block pulled into driveway whole time battery light blinking shut it off wouldn't restart recharged batteries started and let run for an hour while it was running everything happened again and is dead!!!! SOMEONE, ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP US?????

it could be causing a short circuit which could be causing a fuse to get blown check your fuses

Tom Harmon

I can help ..but it's too late tonight. Obviously all the problems are centered at the charging system. You can help me by giving info on what was done so far and how skilled you are following instructions regarding a few simple tests ,I won't get over your head with tests but you need to know how to read a meter (Harbor Freight kind .. nothing fancy) BTW Nothing gets me POed like mechanics charging that much money then not standing behind their work

Bob Beaman

Sounds like it might be an electrical connection issue or a ground issue. I would first inspect VERY CLOSELY all electrical connects at the battery, alternator and fuse / relay boxes. I would also check the grounds. You are looking for loose, discolored or corroded connections.

Tom, I am the actual owner of the Super Duty. I went and bought a meter this morning but, to be honest I do not know how to use it (reading instructions now). I am mechanically onclined and follow dorections very well. Please assist! Thanks!

Tom Harmon

OK .. you got the meter so lets familiarize with it

Tom Harmon

We will be using DC Volts, Ohms Tell me the model of the meter so I can pull up a picture and direct you to the setting

Tom Harmon

I will start with checking a small brown wire that comes off the alternator ,,, believe it or not this is not only a wire ,, but a fuse that will fail if there is a fault. You can't see the fuse because it's insulated but you can check it with your meter

The multimeter is a Innova 3320

Tom Harmon

As I understand you have a 2003 Ford F-350 Super Duty Van is that correct? what size engine?

It's a 2003 super duty pickup 6.0L

Tom Harmon

OK ... It's not easy trying ti fix something this way .. but It's all we can do

I understand Tom. And I really appreciate all your help. Today I took apart the dash and checked all connections. Then I tested the batteries and alternator plug with key in on position. Started truck and the the batteries were slowly draining while running. So, replaced the alternator and so far it is running great. This is the 2nd time in 4 months that the alternator has been replaced. Any input you have would be great as now I am sure there is still an inderlying problem causing the alternator to go bad.

Shannon Gensler

THANK YOU SOO MUCH EVERYONE I am so appreciative for everyone who took time to help me trouble shoot it was the ALTERNATOR AGAIN ....