why wont my truck stay running

Asked by Nov 30, 2012 at 09:35 PM about the 2000 Dodge Ram 1500

ok i have a 2000 dodge 1500 with the 360 in it ive just replaced the battery and alternator fuse. i drove the truck for about 2 weeks then i go out one morning to hunt and the truck wont start. so i tryd jumping the truck it spluttered at first so i rev the engine and it started to run then i let off the gas and it dies right off no hesitation so whats the deal.

45

you might need to replace alternator... The battery is just to start truck but it should run off alternator fter its started...

12,455

Take truck to local auto parts store and get battery and alternator checked for free. If all checks out look for voltage leaks/shorts. It is normal on dodge for them not to idle after a dead battery. Once system voltage gets back to normal it should idle again.

30

check to make sure your air filter intake componets are tight, any extra air will screw with the air fuel mixture.

100

Check the Idle Air Control Valve. It's on the throttle body held by two torx screws. I had the same problem and replacing that fixed it.

670

After a dead battery is charged you need to do the following to reset your computer chip: 1) disconnect neg cable 2) turn key to start position and hold for 30 seconds while pushing your gas to the floor. 3) reconnect your neg terminal. 4) restart your engine and it will run fine.

50

reset youre battery.just as mr.tanicc said.

20

I did all this and replaced my IAC multiple times. This was confusing because after replacing the IAC the first time it lasted like a week before issue arose again, the second replacement lasted a month, the third replacement lasted a week, and the forth only lasted a day. Actually not even quite a day. I am thinking weather was also a part of how well the battery held a charge and why each time it seemed to work at different amounts of time after replacing IAC. Got the battery checked and it had a bad cell. This would not hold as well a charge and was even a drag on the system. Just weird because the vehicle would not hold idle at all and as soon as I let off the gas it would go straight to 0 rpm. The battery was only putting out like 10.5 volts and supposedly the computer will not operate well with low voltage and will not idle. You would think the thing could run without the battery and on the alternator but not if you have a bad battery cell. Most places give free battery test. Save yourself the headache I had by getting that free check. I just used both feet to drive there. One to keep my truck idle and for driving on the gas, and then other on the brake. When pressing brake just lightly come off the gas. If you come too far off the gas and the vehicle turns off you will lose hydraulics to steering and brakes. You do not want that to happen if you are too close to other vehicles or people. So be careful and do not drive if you have to go too far. Luckily for me I just had to drive a few blocks away to the nearest auto parts store.

30

I have a 1999 dodge ram 1500 it wouldn't started change the crackshaft sensor and throttle position sensor started up find until I cut it off now it won't start and it trys but won't stay on even while I'm pressing the gas paddle

50

The answer mr tannic gave was the solution to mine that was doing the same...that was awesome,

20

Tannic - you just saved the day! This worked for my boyfriend's 1998 Dodge Ram after a dead battery. Also, I was the one who found your solution so I just got 8 million bonus points. Thank you!

my name is jeff thank you for taking the time to answer all our questions .very helpful'

30

I left the key in on position in my truck and didn't realize until I went outside to check something and the battery was dead. Had a Buddy come jump it and it wouldn't start. I tried giving it gas but it would idle and then shut off. I just bought the truck and I'm pretty upset. It does have a check engine light for 02 sensors and a Evap leak and don't know if that has anything to do with it. Help?

I have a 97 dodge van 2500. I replaced the alternator it started right up. two weeks later the battery started to die slowly. I go and get i charged an still does that same. I bought the alternator in th junk yard wen i first connected it. I disconnected the nag an it worked very good didnt turn off. I did the same today and it just died. I have takin it to get checked they saw nothing with the baytery or alternator. Is it a short ? or just need another alternator?