shifting problems

dodgeram1500
335

Asked by Jul 31, 2008 at 08:08 PM about the 2000 Dodge Ram 1500

i have a 2000 dodge ram 1500 5.2L v8 2wd auto trans and just yesterday while driving down the road my truck wont seem to shift into higher gears the rpm's get higher and higher and it still wont shift? whats wrong

Adam Morgan
7,185

Don't have experience with this problem on your truck so I can't give you good advice... About all I can say is make sure your linkage is adjusted properly. Other than that, take it to a trusted mechanic...

dodgeram1500
335

its just strange this just happened out of the blue

Phillip O'Brien
55

ur overdrive may b turned off

dodgeram1500
335

my o/d switch is on my shifter to turn it on and off when its off u hit the switch and a light comes on in the dash by the gauges

Ray Amdahl
155

Will it shift out of first gear (25 MPH ish) if not try replacing the speed sensor on the rear axle. I had a 1998 Dakota that was not shifting out of first gear and that was the problem.

dodgeram1500
335

yes 1st is good sometimes it gets stuck on 3rd and the rpms just skyrocket when it dont wanna shift but when i punch it to pick up speed it stays locked it that low gear

dodgeram1500
335

also i thought the speed sensor was for ABS problems

Michael Key
35

clutch broke?

dodgeram1500
335

its a auto tranny

dodgeram1500
335

well just took it in today to try and replace the fluid and change the tranny filter to see if that does the trick

Kalvin Steinbach
15

sounds like you need play with the gas peddle when it gets up there give it gas reall fast or let off a tiny bit and see if shell shift if not add some trany fluid or buy a chevy lolbut my dakota will do that some time and if you just play with the gas a little bit that might work

Clair Logan
20

I must have all ben had by doge I have the same problems and can not find a fix for it help clair7663@yahoo.com any advise or help would be app

cwater
280

I had the same problem with an 01 Dodge Ram 1500. There are two senors located in the transmission that will need to be replace. You will need to drain your transmission and drop the pan. on the right side of the transmission you will see two sensors, speed sensor $47.18 and governor control solenoid $89.95. Replace both of them. replace your pan gasket and fluid and you are ready to roll.

Roy Lester
80

I have a 2001 ram 1500 when I gas on it while rolling around 60 it feels like it slips out of gear and my rpms sky rocket. Eney idea on what that might be

cwater
280

Roy, on your problem with the transmission. It sounds to me like you are having band problems. If you can get to 60 with it shifting through all the gears, then your shift bands are slipping.

foot55
250

i have a 2000 dodge ram 4x4 auto trans. from a stop i start out and it wont shift out of low i have to gas on it then back off it for it to shift then its fine any clue as to whats wrong

Taylon Moore
20

I got a question. Does anyone have any idea why my truck wont go over 65? It shifts fine rides good. But it dont go over 60. Its about to go into the shop but I wanted to see if I could tinker with it a little. Anyone got som4 ideas or had this problem?

Kallie Bates
50

I have the same problem and we replaced all sensors and tranny fluid and it still didn't fix the problem...........any other suggestions?

darrinhaymon
170

I have a 99 dodge ram 1500 that won't shift. Already changed shifting solenoid, pressure sensor, fluid and filter with no change. Feels like stuck in 2nd or 3rd. Won't shift down or up. Any ideas?

James Cummings
10

My 98 is doing the same thing with only 80,000 original miles. I chanel out the rear speed sensor, pressure sensor, pressure selenoid, fluid, and filter. Still doing it. I went to my buddy, he rebuilds them. He said drop the valve body and change out the overdrive relay. Also check connectors for fluid. Fluid in a connector will screw the ohms up as well as checking the external conector on the speed sensor. Should fix it like new. Provided there's no major build up in the pan.

Memo Rivera
60

I have a problem I have a 99 dodge ram that 1st gear doesn't shift till 25 and when I slam it at 40 or above it just red lines and wont move till I let go of the gas then it get the gear again and when I slam it at 30 it doesn't shift I just red lines any ideas wat It would be ?

RobDurbin
40

i have a 97 ram 1500, just changed all the sensors in the tranny, checked the wiring harness, at first after changing the parts it would shift, now it wont take any drive gears or the reverse gear, it just acts like it is in neutral the whole time.

Jacob Smith
40

Torque convert clutch solinoid my 2000 ram 2500 did the same thing a transmission shop changed them and it fix my problem

Jacob Smith
40

Sounds like everybody needs torque converter clutch solinoids

Jacob Smith
40

U have to pull off the valve body to change them so be careful or take it to a shop

OlRed
0

When my 2001 1500 did it, I ran transmission fluid to kinda filter out the tranny, when I got her back not a problem since

dodgeram2013
20

my 2013 dodge ram is stuck to 4th gear as it indicates in the dashboard, engine warning lit also. any helper tips on what to do?

Ginko455
80

I had this problem, and before the weekend came for me to work on it, the transmission has "locked up" I suppose. It's like its stuck in park. The shifter on the column will move to R freely, have resistance in N, I can force it through N to D, then D, 2, and 1 move freely. When the truck is in neutral it will not roll. The drive shaft doesn't turn. It's locked in place. I dropped the pan and changed the dual solenoid, (the one with the wire going to the top of the accumulator, as well as the governor solenoid. Please help. I am without a vehicle...

Teresa Heflin
10