Dodge Ram abs and brake light

20

Asked by Sep 30, 2017 at 09:28 PM about the 2003 Dodge Ram 1500

My abs and brake light won't turn off and my
speedometer doesn't work. I replaced the rear sensor,
checked all the fuses and made sure the wiring harness
wasn't broken. Lights still won't turn off and speedo still
doesn't work. Unhooked the battery to try and reset the
computer but that doesn't work.

4,420

What codes are in ABS module?

4,420

If you replaced a wheel sensor and the light did not go off a few things: is the reluctor ring all intact and not missing teeth and clean? Did you test the wire from the ABS module to the start of the sensor? (Not the new sensor wire) but where it plugs in up to computer? Is the spacing from the sensor tip to the reluctor ring in tolerance? My very first ABS experience over 10 years ago was my ABS module was bad. I learned quick about ABS systems.

20

There currently isn't showing any codes. Before I changed the sensor it was showing p0500. Now it's not. No I didn't not test the wire. Is the abs module behind the battery? I heard water can get stuck in there sometimes.

4,420

If the light is still on then you have codes.

20

Swear up and down there's no codes. Took it to oreillys and used their code reader and also did a self check on the truck and saw no codes.

4,420

Have you hooked up a scanner and done live data on all 4 wheels to see if they are all reading and similar speeds?

4,420

Found a YouTube idea on this issue "p0500 2003 Dodge Ram 5.9".

20

Oh ya. Already watched that video. First how to video I've ever watched without anyone talking during the entire video.

4,420

Did you check the fuse that was in the video to see if it was good and that it had power to the slot?

20

Ya fuse is fine. I did however fail to see if power was running to the fuse. May have to check the wire under the fuse box to see if it's corroded.

20

This whole thing is just bizarre tho.

4,420

Did you see on the video where his wire was disconnected at what looked like the firewall? In that pigtail.

4,420

Test for the wire under the box like he did with a test light. Put clamp on ground and touch each side of fuse. If one side then you have power but a blown fuse.

20

Tested all the fuses and they are getting power. I also failed to mention that the wires in the rear sensor were damaged. I stripped them and reconnected them, wrapping them in electrical tape.

4,420

Butt connectors are better with the heat shrink ends for reconnecting these wires. Keeps moisture and water out especially under truck. Harbor freight has these and the torch to repair.

4,420

So is it fixed? Or even after these wires being fixed you still have the dash lights?

20

But they are still connected and the problem isn't fixed. I'm running out of places to look for this issue

4,420

Did you hook up to a scanner and see if wheel speed sensors are being recognized? And wheels are spinning at a similar speed?

20

Is that something a simple scanner will tell you like with a code? If so, there are no current codes.

4,420

Do you have access to like an Autel DS708? You can customize your data of what you want to see on the screen and it shows you live data

20

No I sure don't. Sounds like it's time to put her in the shop. Thank you all for the replies.

4,420

Here is my opinion...I have been in your shoes with issues like this and not having $500+ to give to someone to tell me that a sensor is faulty. I spent the money on a computer and the updates so I could fix it Honestly and save money at the same time and I know how to fix things like this in the future. Now for what has these capabilities: i like Autel brands because they do as good as your Snap-on at 1/4 of the price. The MD802 $200 is a good purchase but the AL619 does a lot also for $95. Obviously your choice but I get sick paying someone $90 to plug a pigtail in and tell me what it says. And then they fix it and drop the final price on you and you now realize I could of bought three scanners for that price. If you choose to buy a scanner do your research on what you want. I am a fan of learning and doing and saving. Sorry for my opinion...

4,420

The reason I bought my medium level scanner was an estimate from Toyota of $3400.00 to fix an ABS issue I ended up spending $700 for parts and scanner. OEM parts online. I know I fixed it better than they would've because I took the time to do it right. Since then this thing has saved me thousands.

20

I may have to buy one then. What does everyone recommend?

4,420

There are many out there, Snap-on, Autel, Bosch, Launch, Ancel, Foxwell, OTC, innova, Actron and many others. I haven't even touched the surface. There are YouTube videos on these and which ones do what for the price and reviews. I have 5 computers. Some do what others can't and some were upgrades of another. I have $970 dollars tied up in all of these. I made money with my own vehicle first fix. (I saved this amount twice). I also have the joy of helping others because they know I have these. :). It is your choice and what you want to spend. They all do a good job and i save money bottom line. Look at reviews and watch some videos and visit some of these brands sites.

20

Update: all of the warning lights magically turned off. I'm wondering if it just took the computer a while to register that new abs sensor I installed in the rear differential. Thanks everyone.