Wipers on my 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 don't work

10

Asked by Dec 10, 2014 at 01:53 PM about the 2006 Dodge Ram 1500

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 and my windshield wipers don't work.  The water  and turn signal work fine, it's a multifunctional switch..  I believe it's the module or motor anyone have a guess?  Thanks

6,970

Tapping with the handle of a screwdriver can get these parts to start working or enough to indicate they can. Each component is equally subject to water entry, sunload, and years of operation. The governors on some respond to tapping. The motor on others, the switch when wrangled around on can prove to have copper turning green inside. The wetter the climate the more likely.

4,805

I lean towards getting a multimeter and hooking it up to the wires on the wiper motor and have someone hit the switch. If you get voltage, it's the motor. If no voltage, it's the switch. If you can find the wires to the switch you can set the meter to continuity and flip the switch a few times to see if the switch works.

10

Great ideas. I will check them both out. Thank you

6,970

When there are so many wires, a timer circuit relay and the switch and its speeds involved, we found that .9 hr was not going to get a diagnosis and a complete answer. The hammer test is the best. use a light handle for a mopar. Other than that, substituting known good items wins the day.

4,805

My Dodge Caravan wiper motor has one black wire and one white wire.... pretty simple. The plug that supplies that has four wires. They just must be the power for low, high, and intermitten, and ground..........

6,970

So after all these tests and grounds and studying circuit operation show everything seems right. Yet the wipers dont wipe? what do you do ? You have intrmittancy, stuck, inop, or cheesy copper(or brass) what can get it working in the least amount of time and steps ? Imagine your customer pays $125 for an hour of your time.

6,970

I would have a test part on there and the guy on his way to work pending his next appointment to install his special order items I had time to identify, and get his part requisitions figured out and verify his info. When the office lady calls him to return for definite because parts arrived, we have not lost our arses on this beastie, and any tech in our shop has labor left to finally correct his problem and get the tester back off there.

4,805

....and beating with screwdrivers is the solution? That would make for some very thin Service Manuals...... Took me less than one minute to identify the wires.

6,970

Tapping a stuck, stubborn or (corroded internally) part is like fonzie and the jukebox, I bet fonzie would not drive a mopar though. The plethora of wiper systems and the wires they use to connect motors governors and switches can be a real mess. not only will you find many, but several systems on even one year of vehicle. The ones that cannot pass the warranty period may get updated with the system that did. Then connectors or harnesses get replaced or adapted. I had a 78 pickup like that afew years ago and there were 3 possible motors and 3 possible tests. They all looked similar and tested differently, but the tests looked alike. The guy got mad and called the parts store and ordered one of everything and then went down there with no wipers in the rain and matched the parts up and put them on himself. We had obtained testing procedures and schematics the day before at the library, and he could not stand it anymore. Some interval wiper systems have numerous circuits and it takes too many hours. They can also go inop in different ways. Try an F250 sometime. I had one that was too high. but running the wipers as designed with the controls and reaching up over the hood with a hammer was all you needed. Tap, and they try to run, and stop again. diagnosis complete.

6,970

For that rig, you replaced a connector and used the updated motor. You would need your time for the wiring repairs. not a noodle search in a plate of spaghetti. Sure, a simple 4 wire motor is easy. 12v test light verifies power and ground etc. but why wont it run? tap. etc.

6,970

When you are at aford garage, they sell 13 different kinds of car, can you imagine telling each customer you need the diagnosis time, finding a problem, guessing that's going to be it, then you put a part on or repair a connector. The next day, there he is again, now it does something like that, but it does this or that or what have you. He misses a day of his job so he can screw up yours. Then he wont pay his bill because he thought you said it was fixed the first time. so you ask him to run them, they run fine, the speeds are good and they park. you think he is messin with you. you tell him bring it in while it is acting up, another day, he does, TAP ! DANG IT ! then he apologizes, you apologize. 2 hours later he is arguing with the cashier. I walk by and overhear.... why did he not just tap on it the first time?

10

Thank you all for the feedback. I will be out of town this weekend but will check out everything that was told to me when I get back. Good thing I have an spare car :)

6,970

Go for the motor first, and verify with the tap test. If your rig has other parts besides a switch, fiddle with it and be observant. Some timer governors start clickity clicking when you have interval wipers and change the setting up and down. If you get the schematic at the library to play electrician, Check the automotive database they have in the library, TSB info may short cut it for you. If it is a safety issue or body issue, it is possible there could be an outstanding recall. More likely, TSB info for wiring update, procedure update, parts usage, etc. Hope you get it found quick, some parts stores let you return provided you dont plug the thing in and fry it.

10

Got it, and I did call to see if there was a recall. To my surprise, there was a recall for the exact reason I'm having. But, after I gave the dealer my VIN number, my truck wasn't part of the recall, go figure :)

6,970

Sometimes i have noticed they go by nhtsa reports. if they learn of enough complaints they expand the coverage. They do take reports and if yours gets included they may contact you. I know Ford does. They have you send in a form and your parts and labor evidence. Safety issues have to be handled delicately.

10

Great advice, thanks

6,970

They have to know at the manufacturer that you currently own the vehicle and are having an unresolved issue.

10

OK, will do, thanks again

10

Well, I solved the problem. After taking off the panels to get access to the wiper motor, I noticed a mouse or squirrel (found a ton of acorns) had chewed through the 4 wires coming off the motor harness. I spliced them back together temporarily and now they work. Thank you all for your feedback.

6,970

Use waterproof sealer to keep water out of those connections and they can last a while till you can use proper materials. and the rain and cold have let up.

6,970

The squirrel can be drawn away if you have an outside cat.

6,970

Having 4 wires must mean no governor for your design. fewer parts and fewer wires simplifies.

30

94 Ram I changed the motor twice and it just does not have enough torque to turn them. the motor works but what the hell? Hasn't anybody had this happen?

Everyone has this problem. Call dodge corporate and report the problem. Maybe they will do a recall.... This is dangerous! 2006 2500 5.9, our wipers quit in a massive rain storm. We had to pull over and wait it out. I call they said it would be reviewed but if there were not enough complaints it will not become a recall....