adjusting the parking brake on 1996 Town and Country after replacing rear shoes and adjusting them

55

Asked by Sep 15, 2007 at 07:19 PM about the 1996 Chrysler Town & Country

In instructions for adjusting the parking brake on 1996 Town and Country the books say put a 3/16" drill bit in the clock spring between it and the brake pedal arm.

I have no clue how one puts a drill bit "IN" a clock spring, it won't fit in the gaps in the coil. Got a picture? It doesn't seem logical.

My next step is to disassemble the whole parking brake control to see how it works and go from there. A good diagram or better instructions would help. AllPar was no help.

44,945

There should be a hole where you can insert the drill bit through the backing plate between the clock spring and brake pedal arm. I believe that is what they are referring to. This will "set" the position of the brake pedal arm so that it doesn't move as you are adjusting it.

Best Answer Mark helpful
55

Thanks. Sorry I have been away. I will take a hack at it this evening.

55

I don't have a decent picture of the mechanism that really shows me how it works nor one that has part names. Sooo, I have to admit brake pedal arm is logical enough, that arm which extends to the pedal/pad. The clockspring is obvious and is oriented on the plane along the arm. The backing plate *must* be the metal frame that is bolted to the fender well. I looked for a place to put the bit perpindicular to the plate between the clockspring and brake pedal arm but I must be missing something. Alternatively I would think maybe between the arm and spring perpindicular to the ground vertically between the clockspring and brake arm as I have seen it described before. I see what appear to be a pin labeled 7 that is above the arm... I don't know. I guess I need better diagrams. It looks like a pain to remove and I am about ready to take it to a dealer or shop. If you know of amy mopar experts south of Houston about 50 miles or in the area let me know. Thanks!

55

I checked it out and it looks like enough trouble to disassemble it so I am ready to take it to a pro. If you know of amy mopar experts south of Houston about 50 miles or in the area let me know.

55

I can't believe I wasted so much time following the above misdirection. All you have to do is hold the release lever out and you can get more length on the front cable. Alternately, you hold out the release cable long enough to shove a thin rod up through the hole on top which would hold it out for you while you work underneath.