electrical problem causing my transmission to not want to shift from 3rd gear to 4th gear.

Asked by Feb 24, 2014 at 03:48 PM about the 1997 Chrysler Town & Country

sometimes the car goes into a failsafe mode and will go into overdrive but sometimes it won't shift out of 3rd gear and you can't drive the car faster than 40 miles an hour or you risk burning up the transmission, please help if any answers known for this problem.

1,590

is the check engine light on, most common issues are the input and output speed sensors or the solenoid pack, ( worst case ) - if a battery has leaked acid there are two wire harness connectors under the battery that get corroded .

500

I'm dealing with the same thing. I'll post solutions when found, please do too. I've been working on this for a bit now. mine all of a sudden wont go into 3rd or 4th and goes into neutral instead of those gears. If I turn overdrive off it will at least stay in second and I can go 40-50 without going over 4000 RPM's but thats not reasonable driving conditions for my line of life, put some trans tune in and drove around a bit and it started catching 3rd a little. I'm going to add the other have pt and see. I'm working on a 05 crown vic. Going to review the codes that came up, I agree with other post that it could be shift solenoids for higher gears gumming up and the trans tune by seafoam might fix yours easier than mine being that you can still go into the higher gears sometimes :) I also have a 02 dodge stratus that I just bought thats in 3rd gear limp mode code said replace speed sensors, but that didn't fully work, may of bought a faulty sensor or 2. trying another tomorrow morning then going to try (ELECTRONIC) shift solenoid replacement for 3rd and 4th if I can find the service manual pdf to know if I have enough time to dedicate to completeing the process before going back to work.

500

btw chrystler and dodge and something else are in the same umbrella company meaning same parts and systems and problems and solutions. give more details of your problem. My speedometer was 20 30 mph faster than I was going and in 3rd gear limp mode (fail safe mode)

150

Was anyone able to see what the issue/solution was? I am experiencing similar with my 2003 T&C. When putting the vehicle in Drive, the engine shakes hard and does not change thru the gears.

330

Hi my is HARLEY I have the same exact problem with my 97 town and country nd im going crazy, it takes 1&2nd but slips back into 2nd nd stays like that,nd I can't go faster than 40mph I change the input&output speed sensors nd still the same change the transmission nd still the same...please somebody help...

110

I replaced a power steering reservoir and I accidentally broke the vacuum line then mine started to not go into overdrive

230

I just finished fixing my 2009 T&C transmission by rewiring the electrical connector. If you look at where the wires enter into the silicone boots you may notice that the insulation on the wire seems to get thinner. This is characteristic of a broken wire inside the insulation often caused by the strain relief being too tight. I have seen this happen in a number of circumstances on various wiring harnesses and it it often very difficult to trouble shoot since it will first present as an intermittent problem that never seems to happen while at the mechanics garage. The codes that result will make it look like a sensor problem, I even got an invalid gear ration code, but it's just that the computer can't measure the proper signals from those sensors.

330

I will go with the wire harness, that tip help me find my problem...thank you guys. ...much appreciated.

20

It could be the output speed sensor and Torque converter might be going out.

40

I found that if your speedometer is off, you should change the output sensor. My G.V. will only shift into first and second and I replaced both Transmission Control Modules (input and output - this ran about $40 and took about 1 1/2 hours). I will follow the wires next and confirm that they are good. If they are then I'm stuck again.

130

Our 2010 T&C recently began doing the "limp home" bit. I replaced the output speed sensor. This cleared the idiot light. When I disconnect the battery for 10-15 monutes, the car will drive normally for some time, on the highway, about 90 miles. When you stop and take off, limp mode again. Repeat battery deal, it clears, again... I'm thinking electrical over mechanical. Perhaps solenoid pack... I ordered a DVD service manual, yet to see it.

130

Update on this. My ODBII reader was showing voltages of between 13.6 and 13.7. At one point when driving, the computer showed a battery symbol, and alarmed. OK, I bought a new battery, and the problems are gone now. Don't know if this will help anyone, but this solved our problems.

30

I had this problem about 6 months ago with my '98 Plymouth Grand Voyager and while googling finally found a solution that helped me. There is a solder joint on the circuit board behind the instrument cluster that will crack with time and thus intermittently lose connection. The description of how to fix it is on the allpar site http://www.allpar.com/model/m/repairs/3G-cluster.html. I tried this and think I overheated the connection with my bad soldering iron. I went to the wrecking yard to get a new (different) instrument cluster. I pulled 6-7 out and every single one had the same cracked solder joint. I finally bought one, re-soldered the joint and it fixed my problem! My van was good for 4-5 months but just started having periodic shifting problems into high gears again. I assume it is the same issue so I'll try to re-solder again. It could be something else this time, but I'm almost certain it is an electrical connection somewhere.

130

I have replaced the TCM, speed sensors, the shift module and solenoid, and the instrument cluster on my 2000 Dodge Caravan and still it will not shift out of sleep mode because my speedometer will not work. When speedometer works it shifts. What can I check now?

20

My 2000 Caravan goes into limp mode at times. When the car is turned off then back on it fixes, but the error light stays until cleared. And, I have the instrument panel problem; that the power disconnects, but with a bash of the hand it reconnects, The soldier joint crack seams to be the culprit. Thanks

10

http://newprotest.org/details.pl?1410

20

I'll share this : I just got done tearing down and installing the a604 in my 2008 Town and country for the second time. The problems started when lost reverse.When I took the drum apart I found two frictions together from the factory at the top of drum!. Well, after carefully rebuilding the whole transmission 3rd gear would not engage and gave 3rd failure code. So I checked everything switched solenoids sensors etc ..took it to Chrysler they told me nothing except it had to come apart again and charged me 125.00 for diagnostics. Took it apart again everything looked good , one snap ring was giving a friction some interference so I replaced that. I Checked the engagement with air test before reassembly. I put it back in Use the correct fluid etc.. Now 4th gear don't work! What a terrible design. I've rebuilt a bunch of transmissions and had problems BUT never again will I buy anything with A604/41TE. I'm done with tearing it down I will play with the electrical but I highly doubt success. I say junk it You are way better off.

20

Had that in 1999/2000 on my 1993 2n generation. In Decembger 99 Chrysler-USA even changed the transmission. Spring 2000 Chrysler-France found the problem; it was just one (cheap) relay. We changed both and still works fine. Too much electronic in those things.

in the first post from da3grunt, what MY T&C that corroded connector?

I have the same problem as far as the car failing to shift out of 3rd gear (I guess it's 3rd). In addition, my speedometer needle is jumping around. That's sound like a bad solder joint in the instrument cluster. I've had to resolder the instrument panel for other problems in the past.

Having the same problem with my 2010 T&C. Battery was badly corroded and replaced in May. Then it started having issues starting so we replaced the starter the next month in June. The same month the side door wouldn't lock and we had to replace something inside the door which was not cheap. Then in July, the transmission started getting stuck in about third gear ( can't go over 40 ). The engine light would come on and off intermittently. I took it to one dealer who said it's 100% electrical and wasn't sure if they can fix it or if they would have to refer to a local Chrysler dealership. I ended up taking it to the Chrysler dealership and they said it was the brain of the vehicle that needed to be replaced. So we paid $1100 to replace the brain two weeks ago. The other day the van started with the same problems again. I want my $1100 back!

2008 Town and Country T&C with similar issue. No error codes but van will occasionally not shift and is stuck in lower gear. When this happens, turning the car off and then back on has always reset the issue and it drives normal. I assume it is electrical as fluid looks good. Took it to a transmission place and they could not find anything (no codes, good fluid, didn't act up). Next step is a call to the dealership I guess.