belt keeps coming off

Asked by May 12, 2010 at 01:31 PM about the 1997 Chrysler Town & Country

We have a 1997 Town n Country and the serpentine belt keeps coming off. We replaced it with a brand new, correct belt and it hsa come off three more times now.
What could be the problem??

Thanks!

60

theres a hose located right over the alt. make sure its not cracked or off it lets water drip down on the belt thus causing it to slip off if thats fine then your problem lies with one of your pulleys. hope this helps someone.

70

If you still have this van and this problem, there is an aftermarket replacement idler pulley and belt that has grooves on both sides to fix this problem. The kit is about $100 from Autozone or Advance. I put it on my '99 and haven't had the issue since.

50

Both the idler and tensioner pulley's are smooth and any kind of wetness can cause the belt to come off. Goodyear makes a kit for the 3.3 and 3.8 it is the "Goodyear 49215K Gatorback Tensioners and Poly-V Kit" I paid 130.00 and it comes everything needed to correct the problem. I replaced both pulleys in less then a half hour but the belt is a bear, tried every way possible and easiest was going over crank shaft pulley.

i would think that Chrysler would fix this problem for the people that own a van with this problem. we didn't make this mistake but have to buy a belt every time it does rain. that's not safe for people that drive theses cars. i was sad that my wife was stuck cause it happen to her and my kids where in the van as well. i hope that Chrysler helps the people that have this issue it will be the right thing to do.

Most of the problem is that the tensioner goes bad and replaced mine on a 2000 town country. 3,3 . its working fine found a few water puddles and splashed right throw and belt is on there no more Problems

Yeah but What is causing my serpentine belt to break/not pop off, on my 99 chrysler town and country. I had my power steering pump replaced twice. I also had my power steering hose replaced. And my serpentine belt has been replaced about 5 times, And my steering wheel is still very tight. After fixing everything, then my factory alarm has started triggering off for no reason and it won't allow me to start up my vehicle. After taking out fuses, putting the key in the door and other crazy things. The alarm finally goes off. But I still can't drive my car because my belt is still breaking off what is wrong with my car... I have run out of money, and have been missing work.