I cannot fix my 2000 chrysler town & country alarm set problem! pease help

Asked by Mar 20, 2014 at 08:06 PM about the 2001 Chrysler Town & Country

Ok, we bought this van 2 years ago. Radiator had a crack in it so it ruined the motor so we replaced the motor, then the radiator, then we fixed the ac lnes. All these fixes were $200 short of how much we bought the van for! Through all this we have had a constant and annoying alarm set problem! It will go into alarm randomly. (We do notice on bumpy roads it goes into alarm) When it goes into alarm set all the gauges shut down.  A simple unlock and lock a couple times usually clears this up. Sometime it would take a while for it to reset. it was an annoyance we were learning to tolerate.

Current Problem: 3 weeks ago, the alarm set came on and did not reset. Along with the alarm set light, the oil light, and the abs light came on. 2 weeks in, My wife tried to start the van. It would run then shut off (usually within 3 seconds or so, typical of an actual alarm set). After work,  I went to start it and did the same thing for me three time till it stopped cranking abruptly. No more cranking.  I looked under the hood and notice a bad positive battery cable clamp on the battery post. I replaced the bad positive cable clamp. still no cranking.  Naturally, I checked Battery as well, it was fine.
I removed the cables for a couple hours, hoping to reset the alarm. I hooked the battery cables back up and the alarm went off. Using my key pad button I unlocked the door and the alarm shut off. Still no cranking.
I checked The starter relay, it was clicking in. I switched it with the horn relay (same one). Still no cranking.
I decided to look at the starter. I had no voltage. The next day I checked the starter again and had voltage on the starter plus the solenoid (starter aid) was getting voltage when the key was turning to the cranking position, then it cranked and ran for 3 second and shut off. I’m not sure why it mysteriously worked; maybe I tested it wrong the day before. I am a journeyman electrician so I do understand electricity and how to test circuits.
I noticed the solenoid on the starter (starter aid) had a bad clamp. The next day I fixed that. It cranked! But would shut off like before.  
The other thing I found was a vacuum line located under the battery base. I believe it is an air sensor to check temp of batter. It was unhooked.  So I put it back in. Other forums said that was a problem that solved the alarm set issue for them. Not so much for me. :(
I put a battery charger on it over night, coming back today it does not crank again.
WHAT IS THE STINKING PROBLEM!
A friend thought I might need a chipped key. The dealership said it does not have a chipped key. The dealership thinks it’s the alarm system that needs to be replaced. I’m not convinced it need that fix. (about $700 dollars to fix)
I have not scanned it at a dealer. I have scanned it with a personal scanner with no codes to reset.
Any suggestions would be great!

11,405

I'm going to start off by stating that I am not an expert on Chrysler vehicles. But I know that on alarm equipped vehicles there may be a separate switch internally on the steering column that interlocks with the ignition switch, but keep in mind that it is separate from the ignition switch. Your alarming problem could be a short inside the steering column or the quite simply the switch going bad or bad connection? Again, not a Chrysler guy, but I know Chevy and this a common problem with similar year(s).

I'll look into that. Some forums suggested that it be a loose wire behind the console but that was the only thing I did not dig into.. not sure if i want to cause of difficulty.

7,675

These vehicles have problems with solder joints on the inst cluster circuit boards. This will cause them to not start and gauges to go crazy. Ive heard they can be repaired. Ive always replaced them.