2006 Town and Country won't start. I turn the key and it makes clicking sound. The radio, windows and doors all work. Tried jump starting it, didn't do anything. Battery or starter?

230

Asked by Jun 13, 2013 at 10:05 AM about the 2006 Chrysler Town & Country

435

Typically, when a starter goes bad, it wont make any sounds when you turn the key. The clicking your hearing is the relay for the starter opening and closing very rapidly because there is not enough amperage from your battery to actuate it properly. Your battery is probably bad.

230

I took to Autozone and said my battery and alternator both tested good. I had to do this again this morning because it wouldn't start. He said it could be ignition switch? Everything seems to run fine, it's just getting it to start.

230

I had it jumped and it started, but battery is good. I have 4 kids and don't want to be stranded with them in this Southern heat. I am trying to avoid a mechanic diagnosis because of the price just to look at it

435

The battery test only checks to see if the battery holds a charge over a short period of time, and i have had bad batteries test "good" for me... if it has to be jumped every time to start, the problem is either the battery cannot produce the amperage it needs to start, or you have a shorted out wire thats draining your battery. i cant think of anything else it could be. it has to be your battery. get a good battery from auto zone, the most cold cranking amps you can get... a duralast yellow top. that should solve this issue.

Best Answer
435

if the problem wasnt your battery, jumping it would do absolutely nothing. the way jumper cables are connected is called a parallel circuit. the way its connected, you are getting exactly the same amount of power you would get from one battery... it does not double the power. if it did, it would fry all your electronics, and start a fire... so. it has to be the battery.

Best Answer
230

Thank you so much for your help!

435

Check the negative battery cable at both ends for fraying or corrosion, then do the same thing on your starter wire. if you are using a vehicle to jump yours whos battery is more powerful than yours, it could be forcing enough current through a frayed or corroded wire to start the engine. sorry for all the replies. just brainstorming.

230

Mine does the same thing. It happened last week in a parking lot, wouldn't turn over, just a click. I got a ride to a store in a different vehicle. Bought a new battery. installed it, and it still wouldn't start. Not a battery problem.

70

My 2009 t&c just started doing this same thing. I would be driving it, stop somewhere for a little bit and it won't start. You hear it turning over but nothing happens. When it gets jump, it will be fine. Battery was tested and all is good. There is an ignition recall but the parts aren't available yet, but the dealership can't tell me for sure if that's the issue. Has anyone have any luck in finding out what the problem may be?

260

My 2006 does this. Try to start and click, click, click, click, ... not start. Try it two three times in a row and it may start. Try to jump start it and it has the exact same symptoms. Maybe it'll start, maybe it won't. Lights and doors and radio etc all work fine. Has anyone had this problem and fixed it?? If so, how did you fix it??

230

They said my battery wasn't big enough. So I bought a bigger battery and it never had a problem.

260

Thanks - I'll look into that.

110

we are having the same problem with our 2006 T&C, took it in, starter is good, battery is good (only 1yr old) the scan shows, ignition problem, wiring problem, intermittent starter problem-ANyone actually find the fix for this click, click, click problem?

I repaired mine. The small wire on the solenoid that engages the starter was loose.I put a new terminator on the wire.

40

What i have found from a few mechanic friends and searching multiple forums, is that the Neutral Safety Switch is bad. I have a 2009 T&C and its doing the same as everyone else has stated. i replaced the starter, did not fix. Had a recall on the ignition and keyfobs. replaced today and still acting up. Next im going to replace the Neutral Safety Switch. Its a $25 part. hope this helps!

30

My turn in dealing with this issue. My question is: Was the Neutral Safety Switch the solution here?

60

Dealing with this issue now as well on a 2005. did the Neutral Safety Switch fix work?

230

I had to buy a bigger battery and it worked. I no longer have the vehicle, but once I changed that out it fixed my problem

60

Thanks, 32001. I was wondering if that wasn't my issue too since it seems so intermittent. Going to try that today. Appreciate you coming back to respond.

60

Well, mine turned out to be the starter. It just seemed odd because it had been randomly not starting for a few months but then just got worse all fo the sudden. I didn't realized starters could go out this slowly so lesson learned. Just wanted to update in case someone else was googling. And if you do the starter repair yourself, it's pretty easy... there's just one bolt that is a bear on the backside, top. Be sure to use a ratchet with two extenders joined together. Spray some WD-40. You still won't have much room to turn that wrench but it's barely enough this way. All the best!

60

(and use the ratchet from the topside. I got the rest of the bolts out from the underside.)

30

Ok I have a 2006 and it had sine this twice and a jump start would help but last night it did it again and this time it did not help at all. It is making on click noise now. What is the neutral safety switch? Is this the problem or do I need a new battery? I'm a single mom and this is the only way I can get to work.

40

I took it to the transmission shop. They stated they adjusted the sensor and I had a bad ground strap. This also did not fix it. Come to find out it was the starter. That was my first thought and the first thing I replaced. It just so happened I got a bad starter as the replacement. Since replacing once more, we have had no issues.

20

It's simply the gear shifter cable. The grommets are worn out so the car isn't really in park and it's the reason when you turn the key and it just clicks. After a several tries it'll finally catch and start because its out of alignment. Either change the bushings at the ends of the cable or change the whole cable and that should fix your problem. Causes a major problem but an easy fix.

10

Ok I have a 2005 Lincoln town car and when i try to start the vehicle it just clicks....I took the battery out of a friends truck and tried to see if it would start (because jumping it wasn't getting it to start) and its still not starting. I replaced the starter and its still doing the same thing. Just a single click when i turn the key. Can anyone help

10

There is a small one prong wire on your starter. It is either loose or corroded. My 2009 did the same thing. I fixed the loose end and clipped off where it was corroded and installed a new terminal. No more issues.

I have a 2006 t&c had it two month and I have to jump it and it will be fine then next time I go to start it every light is on and radio playing and go turn the switch and click noise....Is it my starter switch cause batt and alternator tested good

I have 2007 Chrysler T&C. I have been having a little problem or so. I was dropping my kids off at daycare. When I came back and start the van it made no noise but everything else work lights, dash board, radio, DVD player, and Windows. I was starting to freak, my son had a appt to be at. While I was starting my van, yet, again my son was rolling up the window and the van started as tho their was no problem but the gauges jumped twice going all the way forward and back to normal. Got him to his appt and turn the van off and on to make sure it started again. It did the same thing but try my 4 yr olds trick - pressed the passenger window button up and turned the key - it started. Came out from the appt and everything worked just fine. Yesterday day I drove 70 miles to pick up my daughters and bring them home. Stopped at the store & came out,the same thing happened again but pushing the passenger window button and starting the van at the same time worked. And it did it twice just like the week before. My husband was never with me when this problem occurred, but both my husband and my dad (who is a great working on any car and has fixed any problems I had) said I must be losing my head. My dad said he is going to look into it and see what he finds out. My dads boss thinks it's a starter problem and his wife said I have a magic button.

Try putting the van in neutral, if it starts then you probably need to replace your neutral Safety Switch..