1992 Buick Century Serpentine Belt Issue

Asked by Aug 14, 2013 at 03:50 AM about the 1992 Buick Century

The Serpentine belt on my 1992 Buick Century shredded to pieces. I replaced the belt
to discover that, when i turn the car on, the belt shoots over to the water pump pully
and rubs against it- which is the reason it frays and begin to shred over time. What
could be the cause of the belt moving over and rubbing against the pully? What should i
do to make it stay in place? I replaced the water pump pully (although i bought a used
one) and i replaced the serpentine belt tensioner (bought a new one) and i am still
having this problem. Has anyone experience the same problem? Please let me know if
you have any suggestions on what it could be/what to do. Thank you!

Either 1) something is out of alignment, one of the pulleys 2) it is not tensioned and simply comes off ..I don't know what kind of tensioner that Buick has..spring loaded or what,....you are using the wrong belt. (I learned this trick from Tom) with the belt off, take a string and route it around all the pulleys where the belt goes and measure it, compare it to the belt and it should be the same. Also put the belt on one pulley and make sure it fits in, does not hang over the edge and fits perfectly in the pulley has the same number of ribs and grooves. When installed push on the belt (engine off) and it should give just a little bit, feel tight.. Look at all the pulleys and try to see if they are aligned, the belt needs to be straight, no sideways offsets. And you are putting it on with flat side on flat tensioner, and ribs on pulleys, not flat side of belt on ribbed pulley...make sure the used pulley you bought is the right one, a wrong one one may not align .... or...there is a bad bearing in one of the components and a pulley is wobbling

242,525

Start with what David suggested, but I'd like to add that since it is still doing it after the tensioner was replaced is that your water pump bearing is probably shot, making the pulley move in and out. Take the belt off again and see if you can move/wobble the new water pump pulley, if you can, it's time for a new pump. If the water pump is OK, inspect the idler pulley and also harmonic balancer where the crank pulley is. Definetely something is out of alignment.

22,455

Sounds like the wrong belt- where did you buy it? You could always buy one from the dealer to make sure- these answers above are the best- but here's another one- tow the car to the dealer and spend a little more money- guessin' and replacing parts and gettin' aggravated is expensive, too