Buick Roadmaster - Fuel injecters not comming on

35

Asked by Oct 10, 2015 at 01:05 PM about the 1994 Buick Roadmaster

The Curse>
94' Roadmaster 37k miles (that's Right its 2015!) nice Okay
New tires                                 $400+
New Shocks                             $89
New Fuel Pump / Strainer       $80
New F/P Regulator  Adj.          $105
New Copper gas lines 3/8 30'  $36
New Fuel Filter                        $18
New fittings conv. to copper     $30
New Air Filter                           $10
New Engine Oil + Filter            $20
New Trans Filter + Oil              $50
New Iridium Plugs                    $80
                                       Total $918
*Fuel sys clean and pressure @ 45
*Good battery borrowed W/ charger

I've gone through 2 cans of starting fluid. It really tries to start, but only
runs through the starting fluid. All fusees and F/P relay working. Injectors have power when key is on. It sounds very healthy when it cranks. Cleaned all connectors with silicone-ized TV cleaner. Replaced all cracked vacuum line. Visually checked computer circuit boards for obvious smoked components and all is fine.  Dash lights look normal when starting. KeyPass light comes on for 3 seconds then turns off. I crank but its like its not getting fuel. F/P comes up to full 45psi with two switches to on. F/P slowly leaks down to 10psi in about 25 min. No codes active (A-B paper clip), but fans come on in code mode.

Computer or PassKey ???  What the "F"...

HELP !!!

72,315

If this car has been sitting the fuel injectors may very well be gummed up with varnish. Why did you replace the fuel pump? Was it not working? Same questions about the fuel pressure regulator. If these fuel system components weren't working, most likely there's varnish in the injectors. HTH. -Jim

35

Yes, it was sitting for many years. I cleaned the varnish out of the tank with denatured alcohol. Everything else was replaced by default. I looked down the fuel rail where the pressure regulator attaches and there was no evidence of varnish. I thought about hot wiring an injector (less than half a second) to see if there is a pressure drop on that static key off pressure. I know what you are saying. I just find it unbelievable all eight injectors are glued 100% shut. Should I manually exercise them? No fuel pressure to avoid flooding hydro lock. Thanks, Jeff

72,315

I would. Especially if you have pulse at the injectors and fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Anywhere gasoline was is a suspect for varnish. HTH. -Jim

35

Okay, The injectors are coming out. I will immerse the tips in denatured alcohol in a small ultrasonic cleaning tank. Outside just in case there is a fire. Wow, what a job! I'm off to do good things, hopefully.

35

Bingo! Fixed - It purrs like a kitten. I took the injectors out and did a reverse flush with about 6cc of denatured alcohol. I used tubes at each end and a suringe. A small 1.5 amp motorcycle charger was just right to energize the injector. About 2cc of old stinky gas came out each one. Then I jumped the F/P to pressurize the rails before each prime. Next I energized each injector for about 1-2 seconds to prime. Each time the static pressure dropped about 25 pounds. I did this for all eight injectors. Before this, I thought the small amount bad gas in the injectors would have flushed out after cranking 35 times and almost 2 cans of starting fluid. Lesson learned: You need to flush and prime the injectors too. If you have stinky old old gasoline there is no short-cut.

72,315

Awesome!! Very glad to hear that!! Thanks for letting us know. -Jim