Can overfilling with oil (about 1.5 qts) cause engine vibration?

95

Asked by Nov 06, 2011 at 02:04 PM about the 1995 Buick Riviera

7,415

if too high the crankshaft can be whipping the oil and making it foam .bad & could cause the vibration. weak firing could be another cause.

95

OK Jason, Supercharger, plugs, fuel filter, air filter, changed oit, cleaned ignition module connections, checked the MAF (I think, the thing on top of the throttle body), added injector cleaner, put 6 gallons premium in it, said a couple prayers....This is a quest now. Under 2000 RPM runs rough no misfire I can tell. On cruise at 55 smooth running. Found a vacuum leak and fixed that. Any ideas?

7,415

how many miles on the car? if it ran smooth at 55, i'd say it could be a sensor or electrical problem. ignition module seems ok. when shifting, does the engine buck past 1" in the mounts?

95

It has over 170000. When shifting it does buck more than 1" when it is cold. Not as bad when the RPMs drop. How do you check the sensors?

7,415

if the engine is smooth... i might think your motor mount or mounts are bad. i've had mine replaced at 160k miles..

95

The engine just has no power. The fuel gauge does not work. What about the fuel pump?

7,415

does the fuel rail have 35-40 psi? also, it could have a bad ignition module if no check engine light is on.

95

Will check the fuel pressure. Don't suppose there is a way to check the ignition module? Also thanks for offering the suggestions; really appreciate it!

95

Well the fuel pressure is around 35 and shakky but that was not the problem. Turns out it was a bad ignition coil. Had a mechanic check the spark and found it was basically running on 4 cylinders. Thanks for all your help!

7,415

glad u got it resolved