Transmission cuts out when gas pedal is depressed too far?

Asked by May 16, 2012 at 01:56 AM about the 1997 Buick Regal

I have tried to get on the freeway at least 3 times where I have really wanted to "stomp" on the gas pedal to accelerate as fast as possible. The transmission seems to go into neutral and the car red lines at 5500 to 6000 rpm while not moving forward. When I let up on the gas pedal, the transmission reingages and the car accelerates regularly. It seems like the govenor is kicking in to keep the car from being "over" revved or trying to put too much strain on the drivetrain. Is this a possiblilty? Or is there a much greater problem than this? I have asked my "local" mechanic and he questioned me to find out if the check engine light came on, but it didn't. Anyone else have this problem?

7,965

under a stomp condition u describe, the car does downshift & governor kicks in... but it should still take off. not quick but it moves. i kept it in the 2000 range for optimal lauches.

7,965

oh... and it might be bad for the transmission vacuum diaphragm that connects to the intake.. i'm not sure if your year has it but they tend to get blown out at that much RPMs

7,965

vacuum modulator

13,335

Have you checked your transmission fluid? If it is low or the filter is plugged you will get the same result.

I have a 1998 Regal GS Supercharged fully modified and what it sounds like is what is called WOT lag, that's wide open throttle, I believe your year has one of the first with a PCM performance control module which was programed for WOT lag, which is set to slow acceleration under wide open throttle in order to allow the tranny fluid to catch up, in the PCM you can with software and laptop, just turn this off as I don't need it to slow up anything and I have an fluid accelerator pump and inter cooler, but your problem does sound serious like in your torque convertor or the PCM which may need to be re-flashed. I would really have to drive it. You could even have a blown gear. I think you have the lighter tranny as mine is the HD, Big differences and romping that hard over time could have done some damage. I might take it in to a reputable shop and have the fluid, FILTER which might clogged and seal replaced. Then see what, they may even notice while in there something looking broke, not all that difficult as I do mine once a year and have installed performance shift kits. Good Luck, does sound bad