How do you put a serpentine belt off and on?

10

Asked by Oct 02, 2014 at 03:27 AM about the 1997 Buick LeSabre

How to do it

10

What bolts

33,755

Look at the idler pulley. Here should be a place to insert a 3/8th's male ratchet head into. Get a 3/8 breaker bar, insert the male end into the female reciprocal and pull away from the belt. That's how you loosen it up. Just be sure to take pictures so you can get it back on easily.

4,675

There should be a diagram of the belt routing on a label around your radiator. Remove the pressure on the belt by pulling the tensioner (idler pulley) away from it, remove the belt from the tensioner and allow it to go back to a "rest" position. Then route the new belt as the label shows. Pull the tensioner away to complete the routing and then allow it to go back to its original position to return the pressure to the belt. Be sure the belt and its grooves go on the pulleys correctly as the label shows and the belt is centered on the pulley faces. I did mine last week and it was a 10 minute job.