Car won't start

90

Asked by Sep 28, 2013 at 08:41 PM about the 1997 Buick LeSabre

Buick LeSabre 1997
The car sat for four days and wouldn't start  We replaced the battery and it started but didn't the following morning. There is only a single click sound when trying to start. Is it safe to assume it is the starter? After reading another post we realized there may be another issue. The security light has been on consistently. Is this a concern? or should we proceed with installing the starter?

No what we have here is insufficient grounding of the frame/chassis~ undo the black cable off the battery and wire brush the end of the lug...and the place on the chassis/ground where it attaches...I like to use one of those spinny wirebrush for the electric drill...it just goes easier that way...well now the good ground is established (don't forget the motor block also gets the 1/0 battery cable) we shall have to check the knock off labels on the top of the battery indicating the date/day of it's first charge...five years old is old enough with the new tin/antimony alloy batteries (no lead anymore) and will stop taking a charge ten percent per year..so GET A NEW battery...thanks~

a destructive LOAD test whereby the battery is brought to a controlled DEAD Short for three seconds and if it is healthy will start the car right up....an old battery will fail on this test~

90

We just installed a new battery. Just getting a click at ignition. Is it obviously the starter? Or should we check something else first? Ignition switch?

1,580

are you sure something didn't kill the new battery ? did you try to jump it ?

130

I have been charging my car to get it started, seems like something is draining the battery, could it be my starter or alternator though I changed the alternator last year