Looking to buy a 1997 buick lesabre used worth it?

Asked by Mar 21, 2013 at 12:47 AM about the 1997 Buick LeSabre

I'm looking at purcishing a 97 buick lesabre 150000 miles on it. I read the
transmissions and engines usally go out exactly what I don't want but I also
read how reliable they are and they last forever just looking for something
reliable and safe for my family. Any advice will help. Thank you

101,355

You're looking at a 16 year old car. In the same sentence you say that the engines and transmissions fail then you say that the cars last forever. It's got to be one or the other. It could be that some are maintained better than others. They are large cars and don't cost as much as a newer car. A 97 LeSabre with 150,000 will probably last a couple years so price it accordingly.

8,805

The first thing to check on any of these cars is the cross member at the front on the uni-body. It has a very nasty habit of rusting out. Look underneath, just behind the front wheels. If there is ANY sign of rust, do not even think of it. This is a car killer, and very unsafe before that. The car can actually snap right there on a large bump, and even a minor fender bender can cause it to break. Other than that, check the steering to make sure it feel EXACTLY the same both directions. Check the repair and maintenance history. if that looks good, and the body has no issues, then chances are you have a good vehicle for at least 10 years. After all, it is only 16 years old. My car is 35. Ma has the new one in the family, and it is 23!

105

I have been driving my Buick Lesabre for almost two years now. I paid right at 800.00 for it and it has not give me a bit of trouble. I drive it back and forth to the school, grocery store, and even on short or long haul vacation trips. This car rides smooth and has plenty of room in the front and back seats for travel. Huge trunk for all your packing needs. I am going to drive it until it quits or I can finally upgrade to that Mustang I have been wanting. Great family car