blower motor wont blow with controlls on dash but when run direct power from battery it blows

Asked by Nov 23, 2013 at 02:51 PM about the 2000 Buick Regal

wwhat to do

Heater control panel~ https://www.google.com/#q=2000+Buick+Regal+heater+control+panel&tbm= shop&spd=2136737555299032435

might look like this too....sad because the car has no heat? these Regals are surprisingly cool~...I think~

30

Only the high speed was working on my 2000 buick regal blower motor. So I changed the resistor block, nothing. Next I changed the climate control and again nothing. No more parts changing, time to take a really close look. About the same time my cruise went out and my rear window defogger was intermittent. So I checked the wiring diagram (Luckily I picked up a repair manual CD on ebay years ago) and noticed the fuses for all 3 were feed by the same wire from the ignition switch and was only on in the run position. The fuses are next to each other so I took out the cruise fuse and measured voltage on its hot side. It was about 11 but dropped to 0 when I turned on any blower motor speed except high. I picked up a fused jumper wire, took out the 2A radio fuse and the 10A cruise fuse and jumped the hot side of the radio fuse to the hot side of the cruise fuse to feed power to the low speed blower motor and the rear window defogger and everything worked. I checked the cruise by putting that fuse back in taking out the fuse next to it to jump power there, took a ride and now the cruise also worked. Not wanting to change the ignition switch, I picked up some mini fuse taps so I could put in a jumper wire from the hot sides of the 2A radio fuse to the 20A low blower fuse and now everything works, except the blower, cruise and a/c now get power when the ignition switch is also in the acccessory position and after the car is turned off until the driver door is opened but I can turn them off and don't sit in the car with those on anyway. I think the windshield washer power was also included with that problem but no problems now. So if you tried everything else, check the voltage at the cruise fuse when you turn the blower on and good luck. Or better yet, check the voltage before you change any parts.

Very helpful! Did you ever have problems with the gas gauge?

30

I didhave the gas gauge go out and had to have the sensor in the gas tank replaced for about $600. Gas gauge also went out on my 2000 LeSabre which had the same engine so must have been a bad year for gas gauges with that drive train. Bummer.