The speedometer on my 2000 Buick park ave is broken. it says I am going faster then what I am going. Whats the problem and how can it be fixed.also the gas gage moves back and forth is it related

Asked by Dec 07, 2013 at 01:19 PM about the 2000 Buick Park Avenue

...well it could be...the black battery cable 1/0 Ground cable is bolted to the frame/ground at the other end of the clamped wire~ undo this cable from that connection and wirebrush the lug and wirebrush the ground connection to assure 300 or more cold cranking amp potential....yes, solid state components do not like varying amperages and reduced voltage...your chassis has this from repeated 300 or more starts thru this one connection point...creating a semiconductor layer of corrosion...get rid of that with a wirebrush~~ok?

there is a chance the vehicle speed sensor is defective...but with restored ground will start workin' again~ nt/Speed%20Sensor/2000/REPB313301.html?dbpcid=productads

My '93 Caprice speedometer was designed to read 4 MPH faster than what I was really going. Could be yours is that way too. Or, as The Judge said, your vehicle speed sensor may have lost it's calibration. HTH. -Jim

Jim, you might have the wrong size tires on that (disagrees with the door jamb sticker) double check to make sure that your wheels aren't the size smaller in diameter~

Hi Judge, according to the (factory) shop manual they did that on purpose so people wouldn't get speeding tickets. I first noticed a discrepancy between my speedo and those radar signs the local police departments sometimes put up when the car was about 6 months old. I started reading my shop manual and that's what it said. I don't know for sure if other car are/were like that. Just wanted to throw that out there since the poster's car is also a GM product. -Jim

But you're correct, of course. The wrong size tires will mess up the speedometer reading. -Jim

did you check if you have it in the metric mode?

what fuse operates speedometer on buick park ave ultra

what fuse operates buick park ave ultra 2000 speedometer.