heard this car has probems after the engine reaches 33k or 35k.. some gasket problems.. is this true?

Asked by Jul 11, 2012 at 07:01 PM about the 2001 Buick Century

I am planning to buy this car for 5k$. The car has been driven for 27,500 miles - single owner. What do
you guys say about this deal considering that you are experienced Buick Century owners?

Thanks,
Vik.

11,335

that is a good deal on a low mileage car- the gasket issue you are referring to is the intake gasket, and they don't typically start to leak until between 80-100k miles- just keep an eye on it and you should check all your fluid levels regularly on a used vehicle anyway. good luck with your purchase.

I bought this car 2 years ago for $2,000.00 with 76,000 miles.....it is an awesome car....did some initial mechanic stuff like put in a new serpentine belt, oil/filter changes.....runs like a champ. Just recently replaced the alternator......check Kelly Blue Book....I think his price is a little high.

895

I own a 2003 Buick Century, a 2009 Chevrolet, and several other GM and non-GM vehicles in the past. One thing I have learned from my ownership experience is that extended life coolant is not good for your engine. Leaving coolant/anti-freeze in your engine past 2 to 2 1/2 years causes problems such as "electrolysis", which in simple terms is a buildup of (negative) electric charge which breaks down the intake gasket (vehicle electric systems are ground to the engine block, thus a build up a negative charge in the coolant). The other gasket issue, although not as major as the intake gasket, is the timing cover gasket, which can also deteriorate (also due to the aforementioned electrolysis issue), but at a much higher mileage. Since you car is out of factory warranty, I would switch to the green coolant after making sure that all of the orange has been completely removed from the system. Keep your coolant/anti-freeze changed/flushed frequently, and you should be fine.