Why does my car overheat on hills?

10

Asked by May 27, 2017 at 11:42 AM about the 2003 Buick Century

My Buick has a new radiator and A/C system. I recently took a trip to Northern Az. We had to climb an incline leaving the valley, and on the way back down. My car got so hot that the temp light came on. What would make it do this suddenly? I checked the radiator, when it cooled off, and it was full.

9,565

does it now over heat in normal conditions ? pull the oil fill cap and look on the bottom , what does the exhaust look like ? let us know what you see .

91,465

You may just need a good cooling system flush. Your engine was working harder than usual and if your cooling system is not 100% it may not have been up to the task. If that doesn't solve the problem have the coolant tested for exhaust gases. The 3.1 is known for blowing head gaskets. HTH. -Jim

10

When I had the A/C installed, the man worked hard cleaning out the system. It seems that before I bought it in 2011, someone had put "Stop Leak" in it. There was metal everywhere. He said my heater doesn't work, because that system is probably all gunked up, too. It does not get hot around town. That's also the 1st time I've ever taken it up that hill.

91,465

Those stop leak products cause more problems than they solve. It's too bad a previous owner put it in there. Try flushing out the cooling system using a chemical cleaner. That may get the rest of the stop leak product out of there. As for the heater you may want to replace the heater core. Also, be sure all air is out of the cooling system. Your mechanic should have a tool to pull the cooling system down into a vacuum for refilling. HTH. -Jim